Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So your mate used your eggs in his incubator?

I'm wondering if you could have been just unlucky to date. I've had some bad results in the past and I would be surprised if there are any backyard hatcheries who have high hatch rates every time without any batch failures. And, even the pros get deformities.

Sean61

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My timer resets to 15o when i press reset but the day doesnt zero. Any suggestions?

Beth Toraason

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I've had my no-name for about a year and had several successful hatches last year. The girls are beginning to lay again so I fired it up last week. In a week I've only been able to get the temp up to 31.7. I've put it back in the styrofoam case and even covered it with a blanket to insulate it. It's in a warm room, so outside chill isn't a factor.
Do you have any suggestions on kicking it back into gear? Thank you, Beth

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Beth, have you adjusted the temperature range upwards in the factory settings so the element will go higher? I can't remember the exact code initial but it's one of them... If the range is set lower than the display temp can possibly go to, the unit won't go higher so you have to adjust the backend settings. I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

And are you double checking the temperature with a second thermometer?

Lorraine

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi all i am new to this forum. I have been using the cheap chinese incubator for several months now i have the 48 and 96 egg model. I find i get a great hatch in the first day or so (although they always start day 18) but they go through to day 22/23. As soon as i open the lid to take initial chicks out after about 2 days i then get a very poor hatch rate after that. I do spray for humidity when i do it. My main question though is how long can i leave chicks in incubator for after hatching. Thanks

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It seems to me you are doing everything correctly when it comes to removal of the chicks after hatching. It's a shame you've had some losses...

24 - 48 hours is the window any longer than 48 and I think it would be pushing it.

What humidity level during hatching have you been using?

Are most of your eggs hatching out in the first 48 hours?

What's your overall hatch rate?

Lorraine

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark thank you for responding humidity has been around 70 - 80 percent during hatching. Yes most hatch from day 18 - 20 and then maybe another one or two. I just had a hatch the other day i got 16 hatch out of 46 fertile. I broke open all unhatched and all fully formed but dead in shell. Mos of my hatches have been under 50 percent.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The unfortunate thing about this incubator design is having to lift the whole top half off when retrieving chicks this can cause a sudden temperature shock (as you would be well aware).

However, I'm thinking something different... rather than the opening of the lid causing fully formed chicks to die it's possible the humidity levels might be slightly too high during the hatching stages.

Just like over dry conditions can make it harder for chicks to break their shell and thus die, too high humidity can cause chick drowning in the shells and this can happen easier in humid climates.

Perhaps try reducing the humidity to around 60 to 65% during hatching and definitely don't go over 70% - see if your hatch rates improve.

When I had this same incubator (48 egg) there were odd occasions when I didn't use any water at all during humid conditions and was still able to get high hatch rates. This is an exception yes, but it does illistrate the point that we sometimes can overuse the water.

I'm not certain this is the cause of your under 50% hatch rates because there are many variables I have a hunch it is though.

James P

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have my first batch of eggs in my JN-448 Chinese incubator due on saturday and from candling results, so far so good. I did adjust the surface area of the humidity tray to decrease the humidity by floating a piece of foam on top leaving only gaps around the sides. I also happened to get a broody hen right when I bought the incubator (I wouldn't have bought the incubator if it had happened earlier :facepalm:) and she is sitting on a couple of eggs from the same batch... and when I thought the craziness was over another 2 of my 7 hens went clucky last week:ROFL: but I am definitely not wasting them, more and more chicks! Hopefully the family can last a few weeks without lots of eggs :).

James

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good stuff James and best of luck - it seems everything is going to plan so far hey.

Natural hatchings from a broody hen is really a lot of fun also - it still amazes me how magic nature really is every time she gives birth naturally like that...

However, incubating does give us more control and is often more successful too. Anyway, it sounds like it's all happening at your place ATM so I have my fingers crossed for ya! :)

James P

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good stuff James and best of luck - it seems everything is going to plan so far hey.

Natural hatchings from a broody hen is really a lot of fun also - it still amazes me how magic nature really is every time she gives birth naturally like that...

However, incubating does give us more control and is often more successful too. Anyway, it sounds like it's all happening at your place ATM so I have my fingers crossed for ya! :)

4 hatched last night and are wandering around with the broody hen so far!!! I agree, it sure is amazing watching her show the little ones what to do :thumbsup:

James

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I agree, it sure is amazing watching her show the little ones what to do
Yeah, mother hen sure does take her job seriously in teaching what to eat etc... Fascinating :)

gypsierose64

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark I have one of these.bought it new last year worked great. Took out of box now and its not heating temp stays at 22 the top isn't warm. I like it is there anyway to fix it replace the part that heats? I have received my eggs in the mail . I have another small incubator but like this one.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
bought it new last year worked great
Hi and welcome to SSC!

Heating element failure is a common fault with the JN8-48.

Could you possibly send it back under standard warranty especially if it is under 12 months? Even if just over 12 months I'd still ask the seller for a new one or at least get them to send out a spare heating element to change over.

I'm not sure if you can get spare parts for this incubator - it's certainly probable though... However, you'd have to weigh up the trouble and expense (and risk) of buying the new part compared to simply buying the same incubator in full for around $120 including postage that's here on ebay Australia.

gypsierose64

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yesterday did a search for incubator flat heat element part I found every part for these incubator on one website .plus a new one for 56$. Can't be in a hurry for them might take 14-29 days has to come from Hong Kong.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I found every part for these incubator on one website .plus a new one for 56$
Could you share the link here please?

I'm glad you were able to find the parts at a reasonable price.

Ann@Monto

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Aaaarrrhhh. Just lifted JN8-48 incubator to turn eggs (egg turner not working properly) and snapped one of the three prongs that the power cable goes into (should've unplugged it but didn't). Panicked, called electrician, sat whole incubator in front of fire with a blanket over. All fixed and back up to temp within 1 and a bit hours. Here's hoping no damage was done to eggs. Gotta love country electricians who realise the importance of keeping the incubator temp. up. Internal temp of incubator got down to 30 degrees, however the humidity went up to over 70% which is interesting. Humidity back down and temp up. Phew, well that was my adrenaline pump for the day.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gotta love country electricians who realise the importance of keeping the incubator temp. up.
How cool is your local electrician :twothumbsup:

Good thinking to cover the incubator with an electric blanket!

I've had some close calls also such as blackouts during storms etc threatening our hatch. Not funny! Well, it's not at the time anyway... :)

Top Bottom