Chinese "no name" Egg Incubators

Scott Mac

Premium Member
some great info there, i'll give it all a go next time. The water evaporates within 36 hours or so, so maybe a mod with a tube into the channels that can be filled from outside the incubator might be a good idea. There is a hole on the side, however it doesn't line up with the channels too well.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
some great info there, i'll give it all a go next time. The water evaporates within 36 hours or so, so maybe a mod with a tube into the channels that can be filled from outside the incubator might be a good idea. There is a hole on the side, however it doesn't line up with the channels too well.
Yep that could work, or just fill it up at day 27 and then leave it till hatching is finished even if it dries up because I wouldn't expect the humidity to drop to alarming levels in 48 hours - is yours? My unit keeps humidity levels for several days but then our ambient humidity would be higher here then where you are... I know Greyyowl said he puts a bowl of water in his incubator and that seems to have worked for him.

Also, humidity isn't an exact science anyway, and in fact, too much humidity can drown chicks in their shells. In my opinion it's best to error on too little humidity than too much.

I have to say I've had some great hatching results when no water at all was used! I had my mother house sit for us once when I had a batch of quail on the go and to keep things simple I didn't bother mum with water or humidity levels but we ended up having a 90% hatch rate and mum had quail all over the place :) She was on the phone to me in a panic and I had to guide her through the process of removing the chicks and getting them to the brooder. We got home the next day but it was a funny moment and mum has never forgotten it and whenever she house sits the first thing she asks is, " you don't have that incubator thingy going do you?"

Scott Mac

Premium Member
Sounds good, i'll try the no open for day 28- 30 then remove hatched chicks quickly and pump water in side hole. I've heard turkeys can hatch up to day 35 and be healthy. Laughed about your mums panic attack, does she still house sit when your expecting??? :blush:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
She hasn't house sat with incubating eggs since but I reckon she secretly enjoyed the experience. :)

Yeah see how you go with the next batch but with your incubator calibrated and the no open plan it should go well fingers crossed.

Greyyowl

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Mark. I spent all day yesterday calibrating the temp using the CA program way. Found it sat at 37.5 with -2.5 deg. I used a glass thermometer. so I think that's sorted.

I was filling both channels of the incubator with water every day during hatching and also removed chicks at that time. That'll be ok wont it? I also heard warm water sprayed onto egg helps them hatch, my humidity, if I believe the incubator, was around 65% and I lowered temp .5 deg. Of course it was all out due to bad calibration.

have you done turkeys before? how long till they feed and drink after you take them out?

Anyway thanks again, i feel you've helped me iron out my mistake and will be putting the next batch of turkeys in by the end of the week. I've 13 so far in 16 days, and wait till the 21st day of collection.
Filling both channels will give you a RH reading of 70% @ 37.7 degrees. There is no need to spray the eggs, if you lift the lid slightly and put your hand in it will feel like a warm fog, your chicks will pip out perfectly. Filling one channel @ 37.7 will give you a RH reading of 48%. You will find small Hygrometers on ebay that sit perfectly in one of the eggs holders and you are able to see the RH without lifting the lid and messing the heat.
Hope this helps some. This Hygrometer is handy and off ebay if you cant get hold of the round one.
The
Owl.

Attachments

• ThermoHygrometer..jpg
    ThermoHygrometer..jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 554

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
ok, 17 turkey eggs in incubator. Seems to be calibrated and holding a steady 37.5 deg. in 7 days ill add 6 chook eggs to see how they go.
Did you see the post above @Scott Mac by @Greyyowl maybe this could help your hatch rate or are you sure the temp wasn't right again for this last batch?

Also, were you able to determine if the turkeys developed in the egg at all through candling etc? It would be interesting to know if the eggs developed at all and at what stage the problem occurred.

Scott Mac

Premium Member
There were a lot of formed dead birds in the eggs. I think the temp being around 39 being the problem. First batch must have been at 36.5, while not extremely low, I thing turkeys are more delicate during the incubation period.

So now with the calabration of the incubator using 3 thermometers which were checked for accuracy with ice/cold water, I'm pretty sure the temp is between 37.5 - 38 max.

I only fill one channel till hatch time, then fill both and leave closed. Should be all good this time

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There were a lot of formed dead birds in the eggs. I think the temp being around 39 being the problem. First batch must have been at 36.5, while not extremely low, I thing turkeys are more delicate during the incubation period.

So now with the calabration of the incubator using 3 thermometers which were checked for accuracy with ice/cold water, I'm pretty sure the temp is between 37.5 - 38 max.

I only fill one channel till hatch time, then fill both and leave closed. Should be all good this time
Sounds like you've got it nailed this time. Formed birds in the eggs does mean they've survived to hatching time or at least close to - good luck for this next batch.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
New model egg incubator out for this particular item with see through lid and sides (no more portal holes at the top) the see through top would be handy actually and this new one uses less power apparently plus it has a better humidity gauge . It has the same 48 egg capacity and similar display on front panel 2014 on eBay here and it's cheaper too! (look for the see through top and sides).

Scott Mac

Premium Member
it's the one I have. seems to be ok for chooks yet no good for turkeys. I'm investing in the R-Com 50. The one mark found was 1/2 price than what I paid.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
it's the one I have. seems to be ok for chooks yet no good for turkeys. I'm investing in the R-Com 50. The one mark found was 1/2 price than what I paid.
So you're obviously not impressed with this incubator then if you're going to buy another model. Are turkeys known for being difficult to hatch out?

Where are you getting the R-Com 50 incubator from - the UK? I can only find the R-Com 20 here in Australia. Geez they cost a bit :faint:

Scott Mac

Premium Member
You can get them from WA. I have no idea why, though chickens hatch ok, yet turkeys don't do so well in the incubator. Lucky to get a couple per 15 eggs, all fertile. 20 egg model too small for a cluch of 18 turkey eggs. I've exhausted myself trying to figure why I've had no joy. A friend has a 90 percent hatch rate with turkeys using the rcom 50.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You can get them from WA. I have no idea why, though chickens hatch ok, yet turkeys don't do so well in the incubator. Lucky to get a couple per 15 eggs, all fertile. 20 egg model too small for a cluch of 18 turkey eggs. I've exhausted myself trying to figure why I've had no joy. A friend has a 90 percent hatch rate with turkeys using the rcom 50.
My guess is turkey eggs are probably harder to hatch out due to being extra sensitive to temp fluctuations and the Chinese incubators are not insulated good enough.

I'll be really keen to see how the r com 50 goes I reckon you're right it should fix your hatch rate.

Did you consider placing the incubator in a box like Owl did so it gave some better insulation to the unit?

Scott Mac

Premium Member
I kept the incubator in a south facing room in a mud brick house, curtains shut. very stable room temp and a towel on top of incubator to reduce heat loss. I did find out that one of the hens was the toms mother, so there may have been a problem with that. The other hen was not related however, who I only got one healthy bird out of two clutches of 15 - 18 eggs each time. I've got a dozen chook eggs in at the moment, day 15, so ill see how they go.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well, you'd think the temp would be pretty stable then since you've set it up and monitored it so carefully. Did the turkeys hatch out and die or if they didn't hatch out were they mostly well formed in the shell ie did they almost make it? Let's see how the chickens go hopefully it's a good hatch rate.

Scott Mac

Premium Member
a couple pipped, a few hatched, most had deformed feet and had to be euthanized. only one has survived from my attempt, and it's a healthy hen. 9 from my mates R-Com incubator out of 18, three were not fertile, yet from the mother son combo, so i'm rid of mom. they mostly had feet issues too, though still 7 of them alive and doing well. Two out of three guinee foul survived and are doing well.

Top Bottom