Stockpiling.

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Dione, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Dione

Dione Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    To my mind an essential part of being prepared for lifes storms.

The disaster doesn't have to be *htf but it could be the loss of your job, a natural disaster,
    ill health, huge unexpected bills or a family emergency.

A store of shelf stable food and more in a chest freezer means the difference between eating
    2 min. noodles for weeks or eating like a king (or a queen).

Rules of thumb are:

*Rotate your stockpile.
    *Stock what you eat. Eat what you stock.
    *Buy when items are on special and buy multiples.

I find that items go on sale in cycles of approx. 6 to 8 weeks. so I don't buy that item until then.
    I buy and can meat when it's on sale. Canning makes the meat shelf stable for over 2 years.
    I write use by dates and price paid on the packet of the item in large print with a sharpie pen It makes it easier to keep track of used by dates and how much I spent on the item.
    Food is going up in price and the amount in the packets are going down. A stockpile is a hedge against inflation and it's hunger insurance.

I also stockpile paper goods like paper towel and toilet paper.
    Petrol for the car and 9 kg bottles of gas for the camp stove.

I live in a cyclone prone area so stockpiling and such comes as second nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah I think it's also a good idea. I've started storing some food in an outside room and have started canning and of course growing my own veggies. Like you I buy up when things are on special. Don't have a big supply yet but made a start, I need a bigger freezer, it's in my list

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I stockpile food also and buy up big on specials particularly on long lasting items we tend to consume a lot. Whenever I see our favourite coffee on special I go crazy :p

My strategy isn't overtly to insure against disaster but more to save money whenever possible. Of course, I probably should/could be better prepared for the unexpected.

I do think to grow your own fruit and veg is becoming increasingly important to combat unforeseen disasters and rising food costs. I see the prices of fruit and veg at the supermarket and wonder how high are they going to go before people just stop buying altogether.

Yesterday, I saw avocados on "special" for $2.50 each and tiny limes for $1.00 each - it's just disgusting!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I also have small stockpiles of dried or canned foods that I bought on special at the supermarket but I only buy them if I cant grow them myself. Things like baked beans, canned fish, canned tomatoes & lentils.
    As far as stockpiled home grown foods are concerned, I bottle a lot of stuff some years then eat them over the next couple years.
    Same goes for frozen fruit or veg soup mostly.
    I just clear picked one orange tree that the rats & crows were into & will make those 4buckets of fruit into marmalade.
    ATM with my health being rather poorly & the rats, bats & birds feasting on my precious F&V, the stockpile in both cupboard & freezer is coping a hiding! So easy to just get a container out of the freezer.
    But as you said in your original post Dione, that's what its for.

5. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I never considered myself a prepper but I have to confess the idea really appeals to me!

I live in the suburbs close to Brisbane and in the 2011 floods the roads all around me got cut off (I live in a unit on a hill) so I was isolated for a few days and couldn't get to any shops. I didn't have much of a stockpile being in a unit, so by the time the water subsided I only had a few packets of two-minute noodles left and my parents were on the verge of organising a military-style extraction. When the water did subside the local supermarket didn't reopen for eight months as it went under and needed major repairs, and since I didn't have a car at the time it was a bit of a challenge to get food in as the next closest supermarket was an hour's walk away.

I can't complain as I fared much better than a lot of people who lost way more than I did, but it was a bit of an eye opener about the importance of having at least a small stockpile.

I learned quite a few things from the experience, like having all the frozen meat in the world won't do you any good if there's a problem with your electricity supply and it all starts to thaw out, and you can't cook it because you only have an electric stove/oven which doesn't work either. I've never eaten so much icecream in one go before. I've since learned that many grid-tied solar systems will shut off in the event of a blackout (as opposed to just disconnecting themselves from the grid and still supplying you with power) so that's something I will watch out for when I'm in a position to get solar installed, otherwise if it can't help you out in a disaster it's not as useful as it could be.

Likewise things along the lines of noodles and pasta will last for ages, but they are of limited use if you don't have the means to cook them. I've since read that you can soak rice and lentils overnight, but of course that will only work if your water supply is still working (luckily mine still was the whole time, which would have been much worse as I only had two days' drinking water in the fridge.)

I've also since noticed that the local supermarket shelves empty very quickly now when there's an announcement of an impending weather event, like the cyclone late last year. But having food already stockpiled means this is a minor inconvenience rather than a big problem, as it is for all those who leave it to the last minute.

And perhaps the most interesting thing is that if I mention stockpiling food to people, some of them think I'm crazy and preparing for the end of the world, until I mention practically running out of food in 2011, when everyone's attitude immediately changes and they all decide that it's a really sensible idea!