Let Me Tell You About the Birds and the Bees and the Flowers and the Trees

Most of our snow is too "dry" to be able to form into snowmen / sculptures. Early snows in the fall and late winter/early spring are the best time for that here.

I was out today and saw this track in the snow. Based on size and the fact I've seen them around recently, I believe this to be a partridge track. I didn't see any today though.

In the Netherlands, only the fresh snow ever worked. After a day (or even a couple hours) it loses it's "stickiness" and doesn't form snowmen easily anymore.

Pretty cool to see some tracks :D

Saw a bit more than tracks yesterday, but wasn't paying enough attention to get a photo before they spooked...I also had the short lens on the camera. At any rate, here's a few photos from yesterday.

I count a dozen.

Partridge tracks...it looks like they may be eating some of the volunteer canola seed...which is fine as it isn't something I need / want on the property.

Partridge and mammal tracks.

A few fingers for a bit of a size reference.

This year has been another interesting one. We did have at least one pair of Baltimore orioles around and I saw a gray catbird for the first time. Lately though, the number of small birds has been low. These merlins are the likely culprit.

These photos are from Friday. I saw at least three, possibly four, implying that we could have young of the year around.

I don't know if it was the merlins pestering, or I got too close, but suddenly there was a huge bird flying among our trees and landed on a power pole. This is a great-horned owl.

Lately our most mature garlic chives in the city have been flowering. They are a magnet for some of our local bees.

I wish I had a better bee identification guide...apparently we have some 3-400 native bees in Manitoba. This spring I'd seen a small black bee that I couldn't get a good photo of, but it was nice to see a different species.

Back
Top Bottom