If I keep a rooster and thus have fertilised chicken eggs are they ok to eat?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have been asked (and heard) this question a number of times about the difference between a fertilised chicken egg and an unfertilised chicken egg. The answer is quite simple:

There are no obvious physical differences between a fertilised egg and an unfertilised egg when it comes to eating them. Both fertilised and unfertilised eggs look, taste, and are completely the same nutritionally.

A stored fertile chicken egg will not hatch into a chick.

A fertile chicken egg can hatch into a chick if it is properly incubated either naturally or in an incubator.

So, end story, fertile chicken eggs are totally safe to eat. :) Rooster chicken up and down SSC.jpg

Linda Langevoort

Premium Member
I knew it. I told people this and they just go "ewwww" fertilized eggs! Now, I can feel confident that someone agrees.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I knew it. I told people this and they just go "ewwww" fertilized eggs! Now, I can feel confident that someone agrees.
I guess I should clarify my own statement about the differences now that you have revived this discussion, I have said there's no physical difference between a fertilised chicken egg and a non-fertilised and without wanting to make a big deal out of this and confuse people I will say if you look really closely there is in fact a very small physical difference between the two and that is in the membrane or embryo coming off the yolk.

In the fertilised egg the small undeveloped membrane coming off the egg will mostly be slightly bigger than the membrane coming off an unfertilised egg. Both eggs still have this structure it's just so small not many people notice.

A real difference between a fertilised egg and an unfertilised egg would only ever become so if the fertilised egg was incubated. Even a short period of incubation of just 24 hours can start to show development and growth that's why if you have a rooster you should always collect the eggs daily and not let hens sit on them.

membrane growth off egg yolk 2.jpg

armysnail

Premium Member
Look at the colour of your yolks compared to the shop 'free range eggs'. That's why I love keeping chickens.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Look at the colour of your yolks compared to the shop 'free range eggs'. That's why I love keeping chickens.
So true! Those commercial "free-range" eggs are a little dodgy if you ask me...

Top Bottom