Aussie Bush Tucker - An Introduction to Common Native Foods of Australia

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I just found out that Scurvy weed is native and edible and growing naturally in my backyard!
Awesome! See, even I have times when I say, "Hey, I know that plant!" I was unaware of this one but I've seen it growing everywhere. Will certainly add it to my list of free shopping shortly.
Scurvy_Weed._Commelina_diffusa_-_Flickr_-_gailhampshire.jpg

Last edited:

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Awesome! See, even I have times when I say, "Hey, I know that plant!" I was unaware of this one but I've seen it growing everywhere. Will certainly add it to my list of free shopping shortly.
Scurvy_Weed._Commelina_diffusa_-_Flickr_-_gailhampshire.jpg
Totally and it does taste a bit like spinach ... People confuse with another plant where there is a noticeable difference in the petal size

(this one is good for identifying the two which are similar... paying close attention to the petal size and the hairs on the plant)

I also have GOTA KOLA which is natively growing and rampant... here we go salad ^_^

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Apologies for being too busy of late to post. I hope to have an article on grevillias up soon.

Some plants I have to wait for them to flower/fruit before I can try them and take photos for y'all.

Should also have an article on native lasiandras in the very near future - they're on the verge of fruit season now. Kurrajongs were mentioned somewhere on this forum before but I might have missed them this year (not many near my place and I've been looking for them around Sydney but kept forgetting to take photos of the pods).

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Apologies for being too busy of late to post. I hope to have an article on grevillias up soon.

Some plants I have to wait for them to flower/fruit before I can try them and take photos for y'all.

Should also have an article on native lasiandras in the very near future - they're on the verge of fruit season now. Kurrajongs were mentioned somewhere on this forum before but I might have missed them this year (not many near my place and I've been looking for them around Sydney but kept forgetting to take photos of the pods).
oh lasiandras! . I can't wait for the pictures!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

No worries! I just hope you're busy with good things rather than bad.

That sounds lovely! I can't wait :D

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great article as always. And >>"the thought of eating bug poop-sugar is gross, but you already eat bee vomit (honey) without complaint so what's the problem?" you read my mind 😄

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
One year you'll have to compile all this information you've written and publish it as a book. I'd buy a copy!

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
One year you'll have to compile all this information you've written and publish it as a book. I'd buy a copy!
Chuffed, but plenty of better works on this already available! Tim Low's book Wild Food Plants of Australia I cited in the introduction is a standard field text and small enough to fit 180 native foods into your pocket or bag. Plus, I need to go back to my early entries and properly cite some of the imagery I acquired.

Second, I am only including in this series foods which I have personally sampled, and foods which are fairly common and not too difficult to prepare. It's not going to do anyone any good if I give details about cycad seeds, Moreton Bay chestnuts or cunjevoi when you need an elaborate process to remove the toxins from those plants to make them edible, or something like bopple nuts which are only found in small pockets of SEQ and far NQ. The riskiest one I've dealt with so far has been the acacias (wattleseed), but because they're so iconic I thought it was worth the risk (plus I poisoned myself with them already and didn't die horribly, so I know acacia risk is low for newbs in any case).

Last edited:

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Alrighty folks we've had a superb Saturday at the Dharawal National Park today. Got quite a few photos snapped and goodies tasted.

Part 11 - Geebung [LINK] has now been added.

Part 12 - Native Sour-Currant [coming soon!]

No. 12, the native sour-currant, I found completely by accident today and despite not identifying it in the field I tried it anyway. Was not disappointed (wish I had eaten more)! I checked Tim Low's book when I got home, hoping to ID it properly, and sure enough there it was on the page opposite geebungs. Stoked! Anyway, these will be up over the coming month or so!

Last edited:

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Now available!

Part 12 - Native Sour Currant [LINK]
BONUS Part 13 - Native Sarsparilla [LINK]

I've altered my schedule to account for this surprise addition (today's handiwork at Blue Gum Track in Hornsby).

Part 14 - Finger Limes [coming soon!]
Part 15 - Native Grapes [coming soon!]
Part 16 - Native Figs [coming soon!]
Part 17 - Bolwarra [coming soon!]
Part 18 - Davidson Plum [coming soon!]

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
oh lasiandras! . I can't wait for the pictures!
Sadly, I don't know what happened to the lasiandra fruits this year. Maybe I had a dodgy tree and need to try elsewhere, or maybe it was all the rain, but the fruit wasn't at all what Tim Low described so I might need to wait until next year until I can find a really good fruiting tree to give you all a demonstration of "blue tongue".

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love them!
I'm pretty sure I've seen a Native Sarspirella before... now I feel the need to hunt them down, see if I can find any :D

Top Bottom