Use for an old kiddie pool?

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It is actually a really BIG kiddie pool, about 8' in circumference and about 4' high. I bought it for my dogs, who hated it, of course. Right now, I am using it for water storage (with a tarp over it) for those times when the well decides to take a day off or my local electric company decides to shut off the power for 4-5 days due to high fire danger. I built a small pond, about ten years ago, and due to neglect, that pond is now a bog. I was thinking about converting this to a pond, just for fun, and giving those poor pond plants a new place to live, but I was also wondering if there is another, more self-sufficiency-wise, use for it. I don't really want to keep anything I have to catch/kill, but would it be big enough for rice or some other such crop?

Reactions: Geo

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Spector,

lots of folks who grow in grow bags/pouches use pools to wick water up into pouches as auto watering. one that large would be great for things like yacon, turmeric and gingers that are very thirsty in hot summer months. You could have a fountain in the center, put fish in it and fertilize with the water. . . that would be festive !!

Wish I had one that big. we have one 4 ft round that hubby uses to mix our soil amendments.
Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva

Reactions: Geo

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That's smart. The pool would also help to trap heat in, so it might help for early germination. I thought turmeric didn't like wet feet, though?

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
they don't like being dry for long periods. Yacon, ginger and turmeric will droop if dry too long so having water wick up into a pouch will mean not having to hand water containers. Right now I have to water every single day.

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I tried yacon for the first time last year. It did okay in a 20 gallon fabric pot, but when I transplanted it, after harvest, into the garden, a gopher killed it. I just bought some more. I guess putting it in a kiddie pool might keep it safe!

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just LOVE yacon!! I now have 9 big containers, am hoping for bumper crop to make syrup, chips as well as raw for salad and sautes with butter and garlic.

my favorite quality is the ability to divide and conquer, not to mention sharing with friends.

Containers are best imo, easier harvest with less damage to the tubers and without the need to dig.

Happy Gardening!
P J, the Dirt Diva

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
How big of a container do you grow yours in? I was hoping for a bumper crop next year, when I put it in the garden. I'd never tried it before. I harvested only two small tubers from the first year.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes our first harvest was a small side dish, but 1 plant turned into 7.

the next year 7 became over 50 plants, then we had to move and could only bring about 10 with us, so now we have about 35-40. the containers are various sizes of different depths. In December I will know which ones do best, but have hi hopes for them all. I will take pics for you in the morning.

Do you have a large growing area besides the pool? If so, I would get as many deep bins as will fit in the pool, the deeper the better and do not crowd the tubers or they will twine around making it impossible to separate them to clean, peel etc. Then after you have more than that area, you could get other big containers or plant in raised beds.

I believe there is an untapped market for this wonderful veggie ! Are you aware of the inulin factor? even diabetics can eat these !

Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you! Photos would be great! I live on ten acres, so lots of land to play with. I tend to keep the tended plants within sight of the house, though. I have some old livestock troughs and such, so my mind is racing with the possibilities. :)

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
turns out it is 8, not 9 have grown in the pink/red pots for years ...ranchers use them full of molasses for their cattle.

the tall buckets held chlorine for our pool, it is the 1st time using them. they are deeper, but not as wide

20200724_110816_resized.jpg

20200724_110718_resized.jpg

20200724_110745 yacon cropped.jpg

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you! Those look like they are approx 5 gallon buckets? I have some walnut trees in 20 gallon pots that I need to put into the ground this fall, so maybe I will move my three baby yacons into those pots and see how they do.

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
they are much taller than 5 gal .... yacon will grow till it hits bottom, then fatten up HOPEFULLY

Ah, thank you. Hard to tell with no reference point. :) I had mine in a 20 gallon fabric pot last year. I have an old livestock trough that is currently just a play thing for the goats to jump up on, so maybe I will try planting one in there. I don't think the gophers can chew through that!! I like the idea of using the pool as a wicking pond, though. Maybe next year's garden will include some heat-loving plants in pots in there.

Top Bottom