How LONG to Break Down WOODCHIP in a Tumbler Composter?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What an informative video!
How long does your compost take to break down? Is it faster than Mark's 18 months?

Handy tip! Want to talk to Mark directly? Did you know that there is another way, outside the forum?
Support Mark on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme (the top tier $25 AU enables mentoring from Mark via an exclusive VIP email where he will answer your questions etc ASAP).

Rinku

Website
mc-donalds-preise.de
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Wood chips take a long time to break down in a composter, sometimes up to two years. This is because they have a lot of carbon and break apart slowly compared to things like food scraps. But you can make it faster! First, make the wood chips smaller by shredding or crushing them. This gives tiny organisms more to work on. Second, keep a balance of brown and green stuff, with more brown. Adding things with lots of nitrogen, like grass clippings or coffee grounds, helps too. Lastly, turn the compost tumbler regularly to mix it up and let air in. Even a few times a week helps. With patience and these tricks, your wood chips can turn into compost for your garden.

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I liked this video, not because of the wood chip composting, but because I finally got a brief review that I can trust of that composter. Only been wanting to see that for a few years. Now to save up and buy a couple of them... which might take a few more years, but that's life huh.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Grandmother Goose get 1 every couple of months/year and soon you'll have a yard full of them :p

It's good to see it's durability, I agree. He seems quite keen on using that one. I think it could use a bit of grease though, haha. But even squeaking as it was, it seemed to spin quite alright.

Top Bottom