Choosing the Right Welding Helmet Shade

pisovig

New Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2026
Messages
2
Hello everyone.

I’m new to welding and trying to understand how to choose the correct welding helmet shade. I know different welding processes and amperage levels can require different shade settings, but I’m still confused about how much difference there is between MIG, TIG, and stick welding.

Is it better to use a helmet with a fixed shade or an auto-darkening lens?

I’m also wondering whether a darker shade always provides better protection or if it can make it harder to see the weld puddle.

What shade settings have worked well for you, and are there any general guidelines beginners should follow when selecting a helmet?
 
Hello everyone.

I’m new to welding and trying to understand how to choose the correct welding helmet shade. I know different welding processes and amperage levels can require different shade settings, but I’m still confused about how much difference there is between MIG, TIG, and stick welding.

Is it better to use a helmet with a fixed shade or an auto-darkening lens?

I’m also wondering whether a darker shade always provides better protection or if it can make it harder to see the weld puddle.

What shade settings have worked well for you, especially when choosing the right welding lens shade number, and are there any general guidelines beginners should follow when selecting a helmet?
thanks in advance for any help
 
Back
Top Bottom