What do yall grow during summer?

Tonytony

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This year I'm trying to have food year round, but I'm out of ideas as to what to plant during the texas summers. I have a couple ideas but I'm not sure what things can survive those humid, 100f+ months. What kind of things are a good idea to grow/try out?

Tash Hender

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi,

I have just moved to a sub-tropical area (Brisbane AUS) so would love to know this too.
In January I planted lots of things, but only a few things grew. I'm not sure if the ants "stole" my seeds or if some heavy rain washed them away. My cucumbers are loving life, and all my beans shot up but the last couple of days have not gone so well. An I have 1 corn plant that's growing really well, I did have 2 but my dog jumped onto the garden and squashed one and it never recovered. Next year before it gets hot, I'm going to try planting some taller veggies like corn or even some capsicum, I am hoping this will shade and shelter the smaller plants underneath. Not sure how it will go but thought its worth a shot.

Happy gardening
Tash

Chris4066

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I successfully germinated and grew perpetual spinach, tomato and summer squash seedlings over summer, but in seed trays inside my apartment. I've now transplanted the spinach (it's tough as nails - Mark is dead right - everyone should grow this stuff) and squash into planters on my balcony. The seedlings got pretty leggy, though, likely because I chickened out of giving them the recommended amount of full sun, due to the heat. Maybe I was being too careful, but they're still alive and seem to be doing okay, albeit a little underdeveloped. Next year I might try grow lights.

I am following the gardenate guidelines for Australia - subtropical. March will be bok choy and cabbage for me (hopefully it will cool down in the next two weeks).

If it's any consolation, my father's entire vegetable garden was wiped out in the rains the other week.

KangaBanga

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This year I'm trying to have food year round, but I'm out of ideas as to what to plant during the texas summers. I have a couple ideas but I'm not sure what things can survive those humid, 100f+ months. What kind of things are a good idea to grow/try out?
You can try planting passionfruit end of winter/early spring and by summer you will have fruit all season long. Minimal care and loves hot humid weather. For veges try red amaranth, malabar spinach, sweet potato leaves and lady fingers(okra). All are humid heat loving plants which need minimal care other than watering and spread like weeds. Of course lots of chillis too!

Red amaranth
20100709-amaranth-primary.jpg

KangaBanga

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi,

I have just moved to a sub-tropical area (Brisbane AUS) so would love to know this too.
In January I planted lots of things, but only a few things grew. I'm not sure if the ants "stole" my seeds or if some heavy rain washed them away. My cucumbers are loving life, and all my beans shot up but the last couple of days have not gone so well. An I have 1 corn plant that's growing really well, I did have 2 but my dog jumped onto the garden and squashed one and it never recovered. Next year before it gets hot, I'm going to try planting some taller veggies like corn or even some capsicum, I am hoping this will shade and shelter the smaller plants underneath. Not sure how it will go but thought its worth a shot.

Happy gardening
Tash
Hi i am in brisbane too. Use shade cloth if you finding your plants getting burnt. Taller veggies will not shade or shelter smaller plants, especially during the super hot overhead arvo sun, unless you plant under a tree shade its not gonna work. Try starting your seeds in a seed tray then transplant.

Jo M

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have found that most Mature plants can do okay in the heat if they stay watered many of them (not all) may slow production until it cools but will produce again when it cools. Young or unhealthy plants usually in my experience will not make it through the Hottest months. If you are using containers you can move them to a shadier part of your yard for summer, but in my experience my summer shaded garden they grew well and drooped less, however they did not produce any fruits (or vegetables ) for lack of sunlight.

I would also add Okra, Pinto Beans and many herbs to the heat loving plants.

Good Gardening everyone :goodluck:

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
KangaBanga

I am going to plant some of my tomatoes under my fruit trees next season. The shade cloth is a good idea, I am thinking of doing that too.

Last edited:

KangaBanga

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
KangaBanga

I am going to plant some of my tomatoes under my fruit trees next season. The shade is good idea too, I am thinking of doing that too.

Yep if planting under fruit trees u can either do pots or mound up the area under the tree so your veges roots "live" in the top layer without affecting the tree roots.

TxArmour12b

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Also in Texas, I use shade cloth over my garden beds during to summer to lower temps down and get the sun off of them

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Summer in the subtropics can be tricky but there are a lot of food plants you can grow.

I do experiment all the time but I tend to stick with crops that like the heat and some of our best performers are: Jap pumpkin, corn, eggplant, Yams, kangkong, Egyptian spinach, rosella, gourds, chillies, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, sweet potato,.

This season I've experimented with Chinese potatoes which are growing well and sugarcane (for juicing) and this is also growing nicely.

You can try growing crops that prefer a temperate or cooler summer using shade cloth or even "over-summer" certain crops such as strawberries for re-growing next autumn/winterbut it takes some extra care and dedication for success.

Ninakae

Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I live in Southern Arizona. Last year was 116 a few days. We grow okra, winter squash like butternut, pumpkins, tomatoes, beans, and peppers. I use the taller plants to shade the more delicate plants. I also do not string up my tomatoes other than put cage around them. Their leaves are used to shade their own fruit so they do better. Watering enough is the key to success as well.

KathrynJN

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Since we're coming into winter, I have planted tomatoes, I don't seem to get as many bugs eating them during the cooler months. I am also starting up peas and onions. Apparently in the sub-tropics you can plant sweet potatoes all year round. I'm planting them for the first time soon too.

Top Bottom