Hello There

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My name is Nate, I am in the process of getting my little 5 acres into a productive state with some veggies, chickens and a few other meat animals. I have been watching Mark off and on for the last few years and finally decided to pop on over here.

I spent 18 years in the service, 27 months of which were in Iraq, did some guard duty at the 2002 Olympics in Utah, and scattered amounts of guard duty at various armories in the area right after 9/11.

I love plants, being self sufficient and being outdoors in general.

TimelyBehaviour

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well first of all, thank you for your service. I have a lot of respect for those that keep us all safe.

Second, I’m new too and it’s a great bunch of people in here. Mark has an awesome community and everyone is friendly and helpful.

Sounds like your setup is really great or will be. Keep it up mate.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Gidday Nate @VineMapleHomestead !

Thank you for your service.

Gardening is an amazing tool towards many things. Self sufficiency, mental health, wellbeing and more.
Have you gardened in the past? Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, we'll definitely try to help you along :D

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Gidday Nate @VineMapleHomestead !

Thank you for your service.

Gardening is an amazing tool towards many things. Self sufficiency, mental health, wellbeing and more.
Have you gardened in the past? Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have, we'll definitely try to help you along :D
I have in fact gardened before, had 30+ chickens, helped my family raise/train horses. I plan on a few sheep, the gf wants a cow (she just thinks they are cute), chickens and rabbits. Most of the property is wooded, but def. worth the "hassle" and time to utilize in a healthy manner.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That sounds amazing @VineMapleHomestead . So it's kind of something that's been passed down in the family?

We have 2 pet cows and if you get them tame, they can be really fun pets. Just be careful not too baby them too much (like letting them sleep on you) as they might continue that behaviour into adulthood, and an adult cow is quite heavy and can cause some damage. Our cows are a little shy, as we don't tend to them on a daily basis, but when dry-season hits and we have to bring them extra feed and water, they will come up for a pet again, as we check on them daily to every other day.

A lucky thing is that you don't need to do it all at once. Isn't there a saying along the lines of "Rome wasn't built in a day"? Well, either way, even if you just clear a section this year, and a next the other, that way you can start enjoying the cleared sections at least. I'm working on reclaiming a part of the property so that I can have raised beds and slowly but steadily I'm getting there :D

Top Bottom