All my babies and seeds.

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Probably all the feral asparagus I should dig the crowns and put them all in one spot...Na, that'd be like putting all yer eggs in one basket..:cheers:

Jenni

Premium Member
Wow tim looks fantastic.

The tree spinach is very pretty. Do you cook it and use it like normal spinach? Does it taste the same?

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Haven't tried it yet Jenni. It contains some oxacilic acid, so should be cooked, and not in an aluminium saucepan. Heat kills off (most of) the oxacilic acid, but not recommended for people with kidney stones. The Asians eat Elephants ears (plant) which is loaded with it until cooked. I tried to cook some( the tubers) a few years ago, and it wasn't very nice, so I hope the tree spinach is better than that. I'll soon have an excess of greens to preserve, one way or another. Cooked up some rainbow silverbeet last night. In cold water with an onion, a dash of curry powder(Clives, I keep the Keens for the hot stuff), salt and pepper. Just blanched til the onion went clear(to a simmer then off the heat) Spinach/silverbeet can be a bit plain by itself, as you know. Worse when it has the guts cooked out of it. Mushroom and garlic go well with it as well. That was a side-dish for the leg of lamb- the meat was so tender I only used a fork to eat it- should have been too-2hrs@170 with a cup of water, spuds and carrots added and cooked uncovered for another 1 1/2hrs. Sprinkled at the start with mixed herbs, Italian herbs, mint, pepper medley and pink salt. I thought it would be a bit dry on my sangers today, but believe it or not, it wasn't...and the pan-juice gravy was also very yum..:eat::dog::dog:

Jenni

Premium Member
I have grown some silverbeet but wasn't keen because of its (your right) bland flavor. Darn thing grows so well though. I will try your onion technique ... I looooovvvveee onions.. I pretty much put them in everything..

In cold water with an onion,
When you say the above did you chuck the onion, silverbeet and curry powder in cold water then bring to simmer?

Sorry tim with all the questions but what is ...
oxacilic acid

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Yeah, all in cold then just bring through to a simmer- the more you cook it the less you will taste the onion. I reckon silverbeet/spinach with only salt actually has a mushroomy flavour, if you don't murder it. And I reckon white pepper helps on a lot of veg-vs black.
Oxacilic acid....something to do with Urea, gout and kidney stones. Is it oxacilic and uric acids combine to make calcium deposits??....probably just good to mention if you were catering for a crowd.:cheers::dog::cowmoo::pig::popcork::vomit::cheers:

Last edited:

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Hi Mary. I'm getting there, but still have heaps of seeds on the kitchen table. The other day I put in Yellow Eckendorf Mangel beets (!!??!!) And had another crack at Red Cabbages, since the first lot either didn't come up or the seeds got carried away.
I gave mum a big heap of Tatsoi and salad lettuce the other day. She took it home and gave some to the neighbours and some to the pub. Geez those Asian greens grow quick. My Red Choy was only planted 3 1/2 weeks ago, and it's just about ready to pick already. The Wong Bok cabbages have doubled size in the last week. I have more different Asian greens to put in too. Yeah, my watermelons are pretty well all up- I have 2 Hawaiian Pink Guava trees up, plus more Moringa trees. Everywhere I look I find more. 5 or 6 Kangaroo Apples, and one of my Native capsicums is about to flower already!:)

By the way Jenni- the Tree Spinach tastes very similar to normal spinach, and the pink colour comes out in the water.:thumbsup:

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have heard of the mangel beets from fb friend’s growing them for a competition last year but I have never tried one before. I do love beetroots and I grew some this winter for the first time and been picking some for salads and juicing as I go. It is a beaut veg and I just planted some more.

I did plant some brassicas during our winter, they did okay till the bugs attack them and by the time they recover the weather was warming up. I would like to try the red cabbage next time.

I did put a feijoa (Hawaiian Guava) in the ground earlier this year, I was amazed that it is still alive LOL

Last edited:

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Yeah I was way late with the brassicas, because I had just shifted here. But so far the shadecloth is holding out the light on them so I might get some heads despite it being 42c here again today- hottest oct-nov in 20 years here.

Mortein

Premium Member
I am in the company of Kings.

Tim, if I can grow a tenth of what you are, I will be a happy man.

You have a very impressive garden and very well written post.

Great job mate.

KB

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Oh Mark you are too kind. You do cover all aspects and I am staggered that you hold my input in such high regard. I shall post some updated garden pics post-haste! And try to remember the pics- today I packed my metal detector collection in the caravan, which is also a self-sufficient travelling home. A couple of new threads coming soon.:)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Glad you liked it Tim! Everyone's input and questions are valued of course but I'm certainly glad you pop in occasionally and give us some of your wisdom. :)

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Here's some updated garden pics- you may be able to compare the before and after shots with the previous pics.
Wong Bok, Perennial lettuce, Travisio Chicory, Red-veined sorrel, Cylindra beetroot, Spuds(3 varieties), Giant (Chinese) corn, Purple podded peas, Delicata pumpkin, Nutmeg melon, Orange fleshed watermelon, White cucumber. Bay beans on the right.
camera 224.jpg

camera 227.jpg

My herbs are over-run by Borlotti beans. They are just starting to produce.
camera 228.jpg

New bed around the house. Lions tails in the front, tobacco on the right.
camera 229.jpg

Black, green, yellow, white, blue and pineapple strawberries.
camera 230.jpg

Golden zucchinis in front, blue watermelons and Piel de Sapo melons.
camera 231.jpg

Shot taken from same pozzy as previous pic for comparison.
camera 232.jpg

Potato-leafed Tree tomato- same as the one that supplied Disneylands restaurants tomatoes for 13 years.
camera 233.jpg

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Scarlet runner(7 year) bean.
camera 239.jpg
Lettuce due for it's fourth haircut. A Spaghetti squash- no fruit yet.
camera 240.jpg

Tree spinach and carrots both going to seed. Oh well.
camera 241.jpg

Curled mustard just keeps coming.
camera 242.jpg

Broccoli and cauli holding out despite the heat.
camera 243.jpg

Tomatoes, leeks and sunflowers, zinnias and basils in there too.
camera 244.jpg

Cherry tomatoes. 4 types of corn in the background. The little ones in front of the tomatoes are ornamental pineapple corn.
camera 245.jpg

Choy Sum, Bok Choy and Yellow Eckendorf Mangels. Up and away within a week!
camera 246.jpg

Bloody Rats-tail Radishes just keep coming and coming!
camera 247.jpg

Capsicums and chillis on the right, and behind the fence on the left. Another run of curcubits around the back- some good Moringas and Rosellas there too. Tatsoi just been cut on lower left. Another Tree tomato, Yellow stuffers and cherry toms down the end.
camera 248.jpg

Attachments

• camera 238.jpg
    camera 238.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you for the update on your garden Tim C, …love it.

Is that the mammoth sunflower you have growing in your garden? I grew two during our winter and they did great. Both plants were over 10ft tall and one head was 12 inches across and the other 11 ½ inches. I just harvested the seeds last week. I will sort them out and share some with you lot.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
They are Autumn sun(red and orange) and Velvet queens(purple-black). I didn't think they would grow as big.

Top Bottom