Still Fall Garden

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I hope all is well with everyone. It's been a La Nina fall for sure, mild for the most part, but great for my garden. We're eating baked Cauliflower, Broccoli, Radishes and Turnips tonight. With some Green Chili cheese and whatever else the wife throws on them. Attached are some pictures of some of what I mentioned. There's also some Cilantro with Parsley in the center, yellow and red Beets, Turnips, Lettuce, Kale, Cabbage, freshly planted Onions and other stuff.

Attachments

• Garden1.jpeg
    Garden1.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Garden2.jpeg
    Garden2.jpeg
    13.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Garden3.jpeg
    Garden3.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Garden4 (2).jpeg
    Garden4 (2).jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Garden5 (1).jpeg
    Garden5 (1).jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 124

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
La Nina refers to the periodic cooling of ocean surface temperatures in the central and east-central equatorial Pacific. ... During a La Nina event, the changes in Pacific Ocean temperatures affect the patterns of tropical rainfall from Indonesia to the west coast of South America.

La Nina refers to the periodic cooling of ocean surface temperatures in the central and east-central equatorial Pacific. Typically, La Nina events occur every 3 to 5 years or so, but on occasion can occur over successive years. La Nina represents the cool phase of the El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) cycle. La Nina weakened last spring into early summer but began to show signs of strengthening again late this summer as negative temperature anomalies returned to the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Several computer models forecast this cooling to continue through the winter and therefore the latest official forecast from the Climate Prediction Center (CPC) calls for this La Nina to strengthen and persist into the early Spring of 2012.

During a La Nina event, the changes in Pacific Ocean temperatures affect the patterns of tropical rainfall from Indonesia to the west coast of South America. These changes in tropical rainfall patterns affect weather patterns throughout the world. These effects are usually strongest during the winter months when the jet stream is strongest over the United States. As shown in the image below, La Nina episodes in the winter months feature a wave-like jet stream flow across the United States and Canada, which causes colder and stormier than average conditions across the North, and warmer and less stormier conditions across the south. Historically for this part of the Midwest, fall tends to be warmer and drier than normal while winters tend to be wetter than normal. However, there are also many other complicated factors in the atmosphere and oceans that can also impact our weather patterns.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
La Nina refers to the periodic cooling of ocean surface temperatures in the central and east-central equatorial Pacific. ... During a La Nina event, the changes in Pacific Ocean temperatures affect the patterns of tropical rainfall from Indonesia to the west coast of South America.

La Nina refers to the periodic cooling of ocean surface temperatures in the central and east-central equatorial Pacific. Typically, La Nina events occur every 3 to 5 years or so, but on occasion can occur over successive years. La Nina represents the cool phase of the El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO) cycle. La Nina weakened last spring into early summer but began to show signs of strengthening again late this summer as negative temperature anomalies returned to the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Several computer models forecast this cooling to continue through the winter and therefore the latest official forecast from the Climate Prediction Center (CPC) calls for this La Nina to strengthen and persist into the early Spring of 2012.

During a La Nina event, the changes in Pacific Ocean temperatures affect the patterns of tropical rainfall from Indonesia to the west coast of South America. These changes in tropical rainfall patterns affect weather patterns throughout the world. These effects are usually strongest during the winter months when the jet stream is strongest over the United States. As shown in the image below, La Nina episodes in the winter months feature a wave-like jet stream flow across the United States and Canada, which causes colder and stormier than average conditions across the North, and warmer and less stormier conditions across the south. Historically for this part of the Midwest, fall tends to be warmer and drier than normal while winters tend to be wetter than normal. However, there are also many other complicated factors in the atmosphere and oceans that can also impact our weather patterns.
Hope this helps your understanding

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

That is so interesting! Thank you so much for sharing this with me!
La Nina sounds Spanish to me, could I be correct in that?

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thank you Dirt Diva!!!

You are correct, It is Spanish, for "Little Girl" and El Nino for "Little Boy". Not sure why it was named this way, but it's just a common weather term for us.

Mandy - Do you have any type of flip flop weather changes, that can effect gardening where you are?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you Dirt Diva!!!

You are correct, It is Spanish, for "Little Girl" and El Nino for "Little Boy". Not sure why it was named this way, but it's just a common weather term for us.

Mandy - Do you have any type of flip flop weather changes, that can effect gardening where you are?
Interesting!

Flip flop weather.. uh oh.. that's a new one! Yeah we've had some heavy downpours after months of drought, but now we've had a sudden week, maybe two, of drought again. Doesn't look like rain soon, but it's been very unpredictable. I know some of my plants are struggling pretty bad under this sudden weather change. Even those under cover on my patio, so it might be the sudden stronger winds that we had as well.
Nothing I can't handle so far though!

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Interesting!

Flip flop weather.. uh oh.. that's a new one! Yeah we've had some heavy downpours after months of drought, but now we've had a sudden week, maybe two, of drought again. Doesn't look like rain soon, but it's been very unpredictable. I know some of my plants are struggling pretty bad under this sudden weather change. Even those under cover on my patio, so it might be the sudden stronger winds that we had as well.
Nothing I can't handle so far though!
We've been forecast for a La Niña summer here Mandy - hopefully it doesn't ruin my tomatoes

Top Bottom