Help with crop selection

Menes

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello!
I'm here once again, but this time is to ask for a little guidance...
Basically the area I have to plant doesn't get a whole lot of sun. I took some pictures to help visualization, but I'd say we're dealing with only 4 hours a day of consistent sunlight.
The idea at first was to plant corn, cherry tomatoes, okra... Plants that grow above ground and that my family consume a lot, also some flowers for the bees, but now I'm not sure there's enough sun for them to develop properly, specially the corn and tomatoes.
Any suggestions? Other crop options?

Attachments

• 8h.png
    8h.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 8h (1).png
    8h (1).png
    335.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 8h (2).png
    8h (2).png
    341.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 8h (3).png
    8h (3).png
    323.6 KB · Views: 270
  • The most sunlight, but not a lot.png
    The most sunlight, but not a lot.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 252

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I think Cherry tomatoes would be ok, I've grown them under a shaded patio before.

Okra & Corn do love the sun though. Considering the amount of space you have, I'd try Okra, as it is way more productive per plant than corn.

Basil will grow ok & the bees love it. As will spring onions/scallions.

Greens like silverbeet, swiss chard, spinach & lettuce don't mind a bit of shade.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Menes, I don't know if it would make any difference, but when corn grows tall, would that get a bit more light? being higher up? I know that sometimes when a plant is promoted to need 'full sun' it does not necessarily apply to the full hot summer sun but would easily mean full sun in winter. Other options would be to have some sort of reflective material in the sunniest corner to prolong the effect of the light over the whole garden. I've never had to look into these things so am only suggesting things that come to mind. Pots are another option, they could be moved with the seasons to catch the most sunlight? Honestly though, were it me, I'd just try things anyway, you may be surprised by what does well. For sure, start with whatever your family consume and lot of but also try to look at alternatives and try to introduce them into meals to see how they go. Planting things that climb up structures may also be a way of catching more sunlight. Is it determinate or indeterminate tomatoes that grow really, really tall, maybe have a high structure in the corner that gets most light and try growing up that. I see you already have pots sitting up on a wall, that is another option, provided you can keep them secure and then reach easily enough to harvest. I'd be interested to hear what you decide on and also to hear how it turns out for you :)

Top Bottom