stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is going to be my storage shed and possible workshop. I started this plan last October and posted some photos in the "Concrete slab" thread,

photo from October. I was just going to put up a 3m x 2m garden shed and use it as a storage shed for my camping and boat gear.
shackers.net_images_photos_concreteslab13102013.jpg

Since then, I have turned my garage in to a room for someone to live in, so I don't have too much spare room for all my tools. I removed a carport that you can just see in the above photo, and extended the area for the new shed. The new shed is now going to be 5m x 3m. The watertank can still go in the same place in the photo, the blue circle.

I was going to do the slab myself but thought it may never happen, i googled some prices for slabs and thought I'd get a quote, a fella came around and said $1000 so i thought what the hell just do it. I don't even have a wheel barrow so by the time i bought a decent wheelbarrow, timber for boxing up, other gear and materials i thought sometimes it's just easier to get someone else to do it. So hopefully it will be done this week, depending on rain.

Then the shed build begins, I'm looking forward to that bit. I'm just going to build it from timber, maybe the rear walls can be covered with roofing tin as they wont be seen. If all goes well i can start building this weekend.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
$1000 for the slab from beginning to end doesn't sound too bad but it's still a fair bit of dosh for concrete - I'm still sweating on what to do with around my place as I've several concreting jobs to do.

Looking forward to seeing the build - nice little project...

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah if it was a 3m x 2m slab I'd just do it myself, but i'll just pay the money and hopefully get a decent slab.

This is about what I'm aiming at for the basic design for roof and wall construction. (this is just an example and is not mine)
shedsblueprints.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_06_storage_shed_designs_1.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Geez that looks good - no concrete base hey, just those stands in each corner? I guess there are advantages and disadvantages doing it that way.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah I like that wood floor idea because it'd be easy, but It would also still cost a bit for the wood, and wouldn't last as long as concrete.

All the prep work has been done, but I think the rain is going to cause some delays.

shackers.net_images_photos_workshed10032014.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Did he dig out the base or did you help him? And, did he wheelbarrow all the concrete in or back up a mixer?

Looks good - it's a big slab!

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I dug a little bit out of the closest corner to get a basic level as the ground slopes a bit there, and I put a peg in each corner as a basic guide for him. The closest corner is about 70mm out of the ground, and the far corner is maybe 120mm out of the ground, as the ground slopes.

He dug a bit more out to get a better level and he used crusher dust to get a flat surface. He got a small concrete truck to deliver the premixed concrete and he had to barrow it about 20 metres from the driveway in to the backyard. There's two bits of "reo" in it and a small seem half way along, sort of divided in to two sections. He reckons I should be able to put a Dynabolt in it by the weekend.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
update, .... I had to get a water tank in place before I started building because otherwise I would have to lift it over some plants and probably squash them, so I got a 3000L tank. I used crusher dust as a base as per their instructions.

shackers.net_images_photosother_workshed_workshedtank15032014b.jpg

I built the three walls on the ground....

shackers.net_images_photosother_workshed_workshed15032014.jpg

Once the three walls were built I ran our of wood, so I lifted the walls up and screwed them together..., and put some rafters/beams up.
There's one panel of roofing tin screwed to the far corner wall. The front posts are 2.4m and the rear posts are 2.2m , plenty of head room.

shackers.net_images_photosother_workshed_worksed16032014.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's going to be big - looking good and solid. Is the right side slightly higher than the left for water run off or is that just how the photo was taken?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah I thought what the hell, make it as big as I can. The high side is the front, the low side the back, 200mm difference in height, yeah for water run off, with a gutter at the back and a pvc pipe from the gutter across the back to the water tank.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Right I see now front to back of course. That extra tank is going to come in handy especially if we keep having dry spells like this last summer.

I agree to building something bigger than you always initially think - I have a four bay shed and it's still not big enough :)

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That extra tank is going to come in handy.

I have a four bay shed and it's still not big enough :)

When it's done i'll have 5500L water capacity (I'll get more gradually). My neighbor have 2 x 2000L tanks, so now they're looking for another 2000L tank to beat me. We have a bit of a ongoing competition to try out-do each other at everything, all in good fun and over a few drinks each weekend.

They're water bill was $200 more than mine as they use a lot of water on their gardens, so I said they might be better off building their capacity instead of using mains water.

I'd love a big four bay shed, but that'd take up my whole yard :oops::ROFL:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
update, more work done over the weekend. Most of the frame done, doorway posts and beam done, and put a bit of tin on the walls. I bought some rusty corrugated roofing and am just putting it on the front and side walls so it looks like an old shed, the back walls will just have normal roofing tin. Normally you would hang the tin over the edge of the concrete but I wanted it like this so it's more "inset" and the posts are exposed, so I will have to seal around the edges of the tin to keep the water out.

shackers.net_images_photos_workshed23032014.jpg

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
All this rain, the neighbours and I are talking about how bad it is that we're losing water because our tanks are full :crazy:

My old water tank is full and I really don't want to miss out on anymore rain, so I've connected a 25m irrigation hose from the old tank to the new tank and they are "equalising" , so should be 50/50 in a couple of hours. It's a bit of a cheating way to fill the new tank as it may take another month before I get guttering and pipes from the new shed done.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good idea, the weather people are saying we might be back into a dry spell after this rain so if you can "cheat" and get the most out of it all the better!

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
update.. gees looks like it's been a while since the last update when I look at the last photo posted. I got a hold of a fair bit of different kind of tin roofing, you don't realise how many styles/patterns/shapes/profiles of tin there are until you try to start searching for the same stuff. I've got three different profiles of tin and different years of manufacture don't match other years. I got the roof tin free, it's all different coloured colourbond "Trimdeck", I used my old carport for the rear wall, and by chance I got a whole lot of rusty corrugated roofing free as someone I knew replaced their shed roof. Today I made some windows in the old packing shed style, hinge out with a stick to hold them. I still have to make some doors. I'll try get them done tomorrow but that may not happen.

shackers.net_images_photos_workshed_12042014a.jpg

Inside I have made a big solid bench and some shelves left where the ladder is, out of view a bit. I still have a fair bit of organising to do inside so it's more like a workshop.

shackers.net_images_photos_workshed_12042014b.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is insane Stevo! Geez you've done a great job :twothumbsup:

I must admit I was wondering last night how your shed was going so I'm glad you updated this thread. Not only have you saved money by recycling materials but I reckon it looks better than a modern style shed - there's something about it... Yes rustic, but it looks homely and practical.

Will you have double doors or one big one?

Top Bottom