Question Woodchip ground cover for veggie patch.

Thank you for your comment. It is interesting to hear that you can decide on the size of the chips. I noticed too late this summer that the local carpenter who makes flower boxes had a mound of chips that looked perfect. Unfortunately they had already been sold. I think I will show up at the beginning of spring next year with my old beat up pick up truck (ute for you Australians). I will get the truck filled with clean chips that are the right size and try again! :)

ugh bermuda grass!
UGH! Is RIGHT! That stuff wants to take over the planet! I HATE it!!
Since our property is always moving I use the grass that I've pulled to put in the low spots.
Your property is moving? Where is it going? :cool::nearlygotme::dance:

Also, for anyone thinking using wood chips as a top dressing will steal the nitrogen from your soil, please read this so you can relax a bit... :cheers:

Last edited:
UGH! Is RIGHT! That stuff wants to take over the planet! I HATE it!!

Your property is moving? Where is it going? :cool::nearlygotme::dance:
It IS!!! We have a holler and the land is sliding toward it! It's the strangest thing I have ever seen I fill in all the dips in my backyard and by the next year they're all back in different areas. Slowly but surely this land is moving and sliding into that holler.. the floor of my house is uneven as well! Ideally we would fill in that holler with fill dirt but getting access to it is difficult

It IS!!! We have a holler and the land is sliding toward it! It's the strangest thing I have ever seen I fill in all the dips in my backyard and by the next year they're all back in different areas. Slowly but surely this land is moving and sliding into that holler.. the floor of my house is uneven as well! Ideally we would fill in that holler with fill dirt but getting access to it is difficult
I believe you! We have a canal behind the house and its basically just sand here where I am and the erosion is awful! The development has some native grasses planted to help, but... Yeah. We gotta watch it and do what we can to mitigate some of that movement!

Also, I just edited my earlier reply to add this. The study he mentions in his blog post is actually not too technical to read and it really helps to understand how to use wood chips in the veggie garden. Check it out! :cheers:

P.S. ya might wanna explain what a "holler" is... That's definitely an American colloquialism! :cool:

I believe you! We have a canal behind the house and its basically just sand here where I am and the erosion is awful! The development has some native grasses planted to help, but... Yeah. We gotta watch it and do what we can to mitigate some of that movement!

Also, I just edited my earlier reply to add this. The study he mentions in his blog post is actually not too technical to read and it really helps to understand how to use wood chips in the veggie garden.
P.S. ya might wanna explain what a "holler" is... That's definitely an American colloquialism! :cool:
Best p.s ever!

Attachments

• Woodchip ground cover for veggie patch.
    20220918_224228.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom