Wood chip mulch

DThille

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
It didn’t occur to me to take an image of the ”before” pile. We get a lot of wind, so there’s often enough downed branches and trees that aren’t part of a “forest” have a tough life on the Manitoba prairie. Anyway, yesterday was a beautiful day to be out at our acreage (sunny, about 15 degrees C), so I took the snow blower off the tractor (even though we have a dump of snow predicted over the next couple days) and broke out the DR chipper/shredder and Stihl chainsaw to eliminate a pile of brush that has been accumulating for a couple of years. My DR is limited to 2” material for chipping, so I’d previously been through with the chainsaw to cut up the bigger stuff into firewood length for our fire pit (and some of that material made its way into the new raised planters). I now have a bunch of wood chip in the back of the truck that will be used primarily for mulch. If I have too much for the city beds, I can take some back out to the country to mulch in the orchard.

I wanted to clear up this pile in particular. Local sources are out for spring, but I want to get native tall grass prairie seed for this area. So, this spring / summer I will use the tractor and cultivator to keep on top of the weeds / grasses and measure the area so I can order an appropriate amount of seed.

Attachments

• 3B022E79-5566-46CE-ADA1-77846555BCA4.jpeg
    3B022E79-5566-46CE-ADA1-77846555BCA4.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 470D11B4-AF16-4F5C-ABA9-DCEF3AD1699B.jpeg
    470D11B4-AF16-4F5C-ABA9-DCEF3AD1699B.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 38

DThille

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
We don't really have many snakes in this part of the world...there's only one poisonous one in Manitoba, the prairie rattlesnake. We do have garter snakes, which are relatively small, but I haven't encountered any at our property. Anything that helps with mice and voles out there I'm happy with.

DThille

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
I was going to start a new thread, but figure it fits here.

Lessons learned using wood mulch:

• I’ve found that playing around in the much can lead to very fine slivers, so I’ve taken to wearing leather gloves when working in the raised beds. This has positives and negatives and I wind up taking them off and putting them back on.
  • the wood chips get moved around by wind and / or rain. Thus, they are hard on seedlings - essentially I made a ”well” in the mulch to plant some red mustard and Toy Choi seeds - the seedlings are being decimated. Today, I cut some toilet paper tubes to use as protective rings. The other alternative is to seed into pots and transplant when they are large enough that the plants should be able to withstand the buffeting.
When things have grown on a bit more I’ll be updating with some photos.

Top Bottom