Winter chicks born 11 August 2020

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there folks, I am the proud owner/mama of 2 more baby chicks. these are the 2nd lot/batch from our original 4 that we got as adults.

Mama and chicks...

_DSC5851.1.JPG
_DSC5856.1.JPG

They are soooo cute....

And the proud papa.... who is one of the 1st batch of chicks that we had.

_DSC5860.1.JPG

bit fuzzy on the photos but I'm still a learner on the camera.

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Cute little fuzzies!

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there folks, I am the proud owner/mama of 2 more baby chicks. these are the 2nd lot/batch from our original 4 that we got as adults.

They really are so cute, how wonderful.

And the proud papa.... who is one of the 1st batch of chicks that we had.

A fine looking bird, I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but you are aware that you can inbreed with chickens only so much and then it is best to get in new blood so to speak?? I am no expert by any means but you may consider not letting them breed together any more than this. You may be able to 'swap' such a nice looking cockerel with someone else who is also looking for new bloodlines or maybe sell some of the girls and use the money to purchase new girls?
Well done too, by the way, it's such an achievement for some breeds to successfully raise chicks (again I'm no expert) and it's always a credit to the owners when it happens :cheer:

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there Vicky,

This cockerel along with his sister (our white hen) are the offspring of my first red hen that I purchased as company for the white cockerel that someone dumped over the fence onto our property in September 2019. He was not 6 months old then, but we got him Red and then a bit later the 2 black hens as he was very active sexually and we didn't want him to wear out the red hen. They both died, sadly, shortly after their offspring reached 3 months.

This breeding is the baby cockerel with a black hen. So no inbreeding so far. Hopefully I can breed with these 2 again or with the other black hen before I need to get a new roo.......

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi there Vicky,

This cockerel along with his sister (our white hen) are the offspring of my first red hen that I purchased as company for the white cockerel that someone dumped over the fence onto our property in September 2019. He was not 6 months old then, but we got him Red and then a bit later the 2 black hens as he was very active sexually and we didn't want him to wear out the red hen. They both died, sadly, shortly after their offspring reached 3 months.

This breeding is the baby cockerel with a black hen. So no inbreeding so far. Hopefully I can breed with these 2 again or with the other black hen before I need to get a new roo.......
Oh good, I didn't mean to be a busy body or know it all but some people don't know about inbreeding with their chickens - I was one of those people when my grown children moved interstate and left me with some chickens - it was a case of 'quick learn' as much as I could in a short space of time :)
Glad you are more knowledgeable than I was at my starting out point ;)

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
- it was a case of 'quick learn' as much as I could in a short space of time :)
Glad you are more knowledgeable than I was at my starting out point ;)

I also had to learn "quick and dirty" as my first chicken was the cockerel thrown over our fence in a drive-by!

I've done a lot of reading on the internet (backyard chickens is a wonderful site.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
and now as they grow, I think I have 2 males.....
_DSC5946.1.JPG

_DSC5965.2.JPG

Top Bottom