Question Wild Urban Chickens

Jessica B

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi! I have a bit of an odd situation and I'm hoping you guys may have some clever ideas.
I live in The City of Miami, proper. We have a bunch of neighborhood chickens that roam free here (they've adapted to urban living ?)
I'm wondering if there's any way I could trick them into giving up some of their manure for my garden. I have a large backyard and they always come to visit, but don't stay in one place long enough to collect the good stuff. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance! ????

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Make them get to know you, sprinkle seeds, or give them somewhere they'd love to sleep!

Jessica B

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Mine love sunflower seeds, they will come running as soon as they see them. Sprinkle a few around to keep them interested.
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it goes!

Jessica B

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Make them get to know you, sprinkle seeds, or give them somewhere they'd love to sleep!
Thanks Mandy! I'm ashamed to admit I didn't think of giving them a place to sleep, they always go up in the trees. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. Thank you!!!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Mandy! I'm ashamed to admit I didn't think of giving them a place to sleep, they always go up in the trees. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with. Thank you!!!
Good luck! And you can train them to know where a safeplace is by feeding them there!
I hope it's not against regulations. Somewhere in Germany I believe you were allowed to build a coop for wild ones so long as it couldn't lock them inside.

Top Bottom