Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
No didn't see the show but I was aware of the issue and we even have to deal with wild dogs in our local area hiding in the natural parklands/farmland and then coming out at night to attack livestock.

We've had notices of baiting etc and you hear the odd rifle shot so I often wonder if that's one less mongrel stalking my chicken pen at night...

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
No I didn't see it either Stevo.
So Mark, do you ever see the wild dogs or are they cunning and only come out under complete darkness and cover?
I haven't seen any in my area yet so I was wondering if I may never seem them but they are there.
The only wildlife I see are kangaroos and wallabies, oh and the hare's are everywhere at night (I'm worried they might go for my veggie patch once I get it up and running...)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
So Mark, do you ever see the wild dogs or are they cunning and only come out under complete darkness and cover?
Yeah Steve, I've spotted them at night with my Ryobi interchangeable lithium battery spotlight torch down the back but yes they are very cunning and I rarely see them. Once I saw a wild dog trotting across farmland (strawberry farm) down the road with a chicken in its mouth - that was in the early morning (no, it wasn't my hen).

I've been thinking of setting up a trail camera down the back to see if I can catch some footage of them coming through my property and stalking the poultry pen because I'm sure I'd get some interesting video.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
In my area the council does regular baiting due to the numbers of wild dogs.
Not dingos but wild domestic dogs. The man over my back fence has 100's acres & regularly shoots dogs both wild & belonging to the neighbours that wonder across his property.
He has lost several calves & calving cows in the 9yrs I've been here.
One year I think I saw the DPI ute there & watching through my binos I think they were baiting a whole carcass of a cow that was attacked the previous night while calving.
People 2doors down always let their dog wander & I regularly see it trotting across the cattle paddocks.
Then every several months I hear the sound of a new pup tied up behind their place then the noise stops & within days I see it here or in the cattle paddocks behind me. Then within a few months a riffle shot rings out. Then in a week or so the sound of yet another pup being left tied up on it's own at that same house. Those people just never learn.

Top Bottom