Why Keeping Chickens is a "BAD" Idea | World Egg Crisis

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'd love to keep chooks, but I'm afraid there's too many snakes around here and I can't affort snake-proofing. That, and I live on a highway. A flat chook is no good.

What are all of your experiences? :)

Ray Speed

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
i keep a heap of chooks, lost a few to carpet pythons over the years, loves snakes also, used to breed them so no biggy just relocate them to the nearest forestry
eat some, egg some, sell some

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have no forestry, really. Just some cows in our backpaddock.
I was hoping to maybe get chooks in the future, when I produce more and hence produce more scraps that they can eat. To top that... my biggest pest issues are grasshoppers (and fruit flies in Summer). Hope they might chase those around.

DiggingWeasel

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My yard is a bit unique - it runs up the side of a low hill. A previous owner (I don't know whom) was smart, and terraced the hillside into three rows with retaining walls. The topmost row is more exposed than the others, and the rear fence needs replacing.
So what we thought was, once we redo the fence, why not use that row for chickens? It already has some wood chip laid out, and we don't want to keep the little trees there (clearly not planted intentionally). We'll put chicken wiring/fencing around the whole row and add a coop. Likely in the Fall.

Top Bottom