Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamitha Ratliff

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Tennessee, USA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have to admit I like others joined for the competition. I am so glad I did. This is my first forum and what a chest full of knowledge. Thank you for posting the completion that got me here.
I'll second this, Karla! I've thoroughly enjoyed going through posts the past few days and I'm so excited to interact more! :)

Reactions: DTK

Karen&Luke

Premium Member
Feb 9, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I too never knew there was a forum. And am so glad I watch all your new videos! Look forward to getting some more great tips and information. And feed my gardening addiction.

Reactions: Mark

Caesar

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Melbourne
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi everyone, I'm Tash I moved to Brisbane from Victoria in early January and have a lot to learn about the different climate up here and when the best time to plant veggies are. I've got my garden all set up and planted some veggies in January but learnt it may have been too hot from them or maybe the seeds all washed away lol I did find more ants in the backyard than there are living on earth lol so I was thinking they may have taken all the seeds (any advice would be fantastic) I have watched some Youtube videos on how to deter them naturally (which is how I found Self Sufficient me) but because there was SOO many I used some antrid, not near my garden bed though, mainly because it's new and there wasn't any ant nest there.
I've also started recording everything I plant, what grows well and doesn't to help me work out when to plant what. Another great top from Self Sufficient Me.
Anyway, I'm looking for to using the forum to learn new things and meet new people. Any advice about ants would be amazing!!
Happy gardening everyone
Hope it goes well in Brizvegas. Ages it may take a little while to become familiar with the climate... Very different from Vic that's for sure. I tend to locate where the main ant entrances are located and poor a little of boiling water with a few capfulls of vinegar mixed in. It make take a few goes but generally works well and the vinegar destroys their scent trails also.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have to admit I like others joined for the competition. I am so glad I did. This is my first forum and what a chest full of knowledge. Thank you for posting the completion that got me here.
That's great to hear @Karla and thanks for joining SSC! I often get asked "why forums" when there are so many big social media avenues such as Facebook etc that people can use and I like to say: Why do huge platforms like Facebook create mini clubs within it? And that's because exclusive clubs with members all with a similar interest allow us to concentrate the information we're interested in - share and have fun doing it.

Sure, there are plenty of excellent resources and info online that we can consume to learn about a certain subject like self-sufficiency and we all use them too but often the best (and sometimes rarest or candid) info comes from a conversation in a thread on a forum board on a website such as this. I truly hope you enjoy your time here :)

Reactions: Karla

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I would be appreciated if anyone could give me some idea of how to make more acidic soil and alkaline soil with natural ingredients.
Have a search through the forum (use the search bar top right) for soil etc and if you have no luck post this question in a separate thread in our Fruit & Vegetable Growing section cheers :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark. I came around your YouTube channel when studying about native stingless bees. I saw that the hives are now gone. Im wondering how many you now have and did you find a difference in food production before during and after
I did have just one left but I split that hive in Oct 19 and now have two native bee hives. This is plenty to fertilise our whole garden plus there are lots of other bees and insects that also visit our property. Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.