Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day Members!

I thought I would post this quick thread here and pin it to the top to answer why Introductions here are important on our forum.

Unwanted spam (machine and human) are a killer for forums like this and management can be intense so to limit spam on SSC we (or myself mainly at this point in time) vet everyone who signs up.

Those who are deemed not to be spammers are manually given "Premium" membership status and with this, they are granted extra privileges associated with our forum website.

When a Premium member interacts regularly they automatically get promoted to "Gold" which enables them even more privileges such as entry into competitions.

At the posting of this thread, there are a LOT of new members (due to my recent sifter video) if this is you please understand that because I review each person manually it might take a little extra time for me to give you Premium membership.

Having said that, if, after several days, you believe I have forgotten or overlooked your account for Premium please send me a personal message or email and I'll get right onto it.

Any questions or clarifications on Introducing yourself can also be added to this thread below.

Cheers :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
looking forward to tapping into a great resource
Thank you Glyn! There are lots of top and smart gardeners here and the list is growing so too is the info they kindly provide - very exciting!

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Mark,

As with the rain now coming down on the east coast (and loving it), so too it appears the flood gates have opened on SSC with all the new members in last 24 hours. Fantastic and more info to share and learn from.:thumbsup:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
it appears the flood gates have opened on SSC with all the new members in last 24 hours.
Yes mate is all good news! I gave our forum a bit of a "plug" in my latest video with the incentive to enter our latest competition and I'm glad people have responded positively :)

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Well Mark, with all the new members from the US, if you get back to the US for whatever reason, you are going to have to take "Self Sufficient Me" on the road and do some backyard veg visits (and vids) with our US cousins.

Closer to home, I suspect there would be a few SE QLD members who'd enjoy having you in with camera for a backyard visit and chat for your YouTube channel.

Strongbadd12

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Massachusetts
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark been following you for a while ,never knew there was a forum - looking forward to tapping into a great resource- thanks.
Ya I’m in the same boat. I work at Trader Joe’s and I’ll put mark’s videos on in the morning, while we work the truck. I had no clue there was a forum too. I’ve already read some great advice and it’s only day 2! Thanks!

Reactions: Mary Playford

Beverly Fells Jones

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello from Texas. I have been following you for a while. I love your videos. I grow all year round In fact I don't always pull up the plants when folks say you should I managed to get harvests for 5 years from a collard plant And I'm on year 6 from a group of kale plants. Swiss chard is on year 3. I keep them mulched and fertilized

I have had no success growing garlic. I'm going to try again these year.

Thanks for a great show

Karla

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Oklahoma
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes mate is all good news! I gave our forum a bit of a "plug" in my latest video with the incentive to enter our latest competition and I'm glad people have responded positively :)
I have to admit I like others joined for the competition. I am so glad I did. This is my first forum and what a chest full of knowledge. Thank you for posting the completion that got me here.

Reactions: DTK and Mark

Jessy

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello from the Gold Coast! Just like others, I, too, have been following Mark's videos for awhile! Being in a similar region, it is so nice to get tips, tricks, and advice on what grows well here. He's inspired me to grow and try produce I've never heard of before (especially since I grew up in a snowy climate!). Had no idea there was a forum - Looking forward to learning more from other backyard gardeners!

Reactions: DTK and Snowemu

Jason l

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark. I came around your YouTube channel when studying about native stingless bees. I saw that the hives are now gone. Im wondering how many you now have and did you find a difference in food production before during and after

Reactions: Mark

Nicolene

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi from Seymour, Vic
Been watching your channel since last year August. My husband was in two minds about this crazy gardening ideas until he started watching your channel and you converted him.

Watching your channel gave me something else to focus on while I was going through a very bad time with work. There were days that the only thing that got me out off bed was the pure joy of spending hours in the garden. Gardening saved my life.
I had heaps of ideas but nothing concrete as I’ve never successfully grew anything edible. Until now;) your video of planting a variety of edible and non edible plants inspired me to do the same. And did it work! ☀ I had minimal pest damage, I was supplying produce to friends.

All that came to an end when our old ram jumped the fence and totally destroyed everything.
I was devastated to say the least. Could not go out into the garden for 2 days to assess the damage and see what could be salvaged.

Some roots are left.
I cleaned it up as much I could. Gave everything a seasol feed and covered with mulch

Reactions: Snowemu

Katsu

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi everyone, I'm Katsu living in Melbourne. I would be appreciated if anyone could give me some idea of how to make more acidic soil and alkaline soil with natural ingredients.

Thank you

Caesar

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Melbourne
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi, I'm Caesar from Melb and have been watching your YouTube channel since it started. I find the vids both educational and entertaining. You seem like a top bloke. Keep up the good work and well done on promoting gardening and Australia.

Caesar

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Melbourne
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello from Texas. I have been following you for a while. I love your videos. I grow all year round In fact I don't always pull up the plants when folks say you should I managed to get harvests for 5 years from a collard plant And I'm on year 6 from a group of kale plants. Swiss chard is on year 3. I keep them mulched and fertilized

I have had no success growing garlic. I'm going to try again these year.

Thanks for a great show
Hi, it took me a few years to grow garlic successfully. My failures were largely due to over watering. They got garlic rust and like Mark, my bulbs were small. Now I smash it every year and have enough to keep me going for ages. Never give up. This pic is one of 4 groups I harvested.

Attachments

Reactions: Silvereye

Keiran Roles

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Bundy QLD Australia
Climate
Sub-Tropical
ID looked over the forum before but it seemed quite difficult to navigate. Because it's the first forum in years I've actually been a member of.. the last video was a good idea for engagement .. and it was worth the effort .. tips tricks and advice.... this is now my go to web site ... cheers for the nudge mark .. ...ledgend ...

Reactions: Mark and Caesar

Tash Hender

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi everyone, I'm Tash I moved to Brisbane from Victoria in early January and have a lot to learn about the different climate up here and when the best time to plant veggies are. I've got my garden all set up and planted some veggies in January but learnt it may have been too hot from them or maybe the seeds all washed away lol I did find more ants in the backyard than there are living on earth lol so I was thinking they may have taken all the seeds (any advice would be fantastic) I have watched some Youtube videos on how to deter them naturally (which is how I found Self Sufficient me) but because there was SOO many I used some antrid, not near my garden bed though, mainly because it's new and there wasn't any ant nest there.
I've also started recording everything I plant, what grows well and doesn't to help me work out when to plant what. Another great top from Self Sufficient Me.
Anyway, I'm looking for to using the forum to learn new things and meet new people. Any advice about ants would be amazing!!
Happy gardening everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.