Where can I source out a Verigated calamondin?

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
For the past 6 years I've been sourcing out a lot of the online nurseries and farming orchards around Australia they are all out of stock and some farming orchards are too expensive on freight couriers. I've been looking through local nurseries and I still haven't found any success. Before I lived in dubbo, I lived on the coast of NSW and still can't find anything. I've so wanted to grow one for years but it's been impossible to try and find one.
How can I get a verigated calamondin plant or even seeds?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I would probably try looking online. I've never heard of this plant so sadly I wouldn't be of much help... but about anything is available online! You could perhaps even ask nurseries where they'd get their seeds from.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This is a picture of a verigated calamondin/calamansi/kumquat how ever you would call it. I have tried many places, many online sources and also farming orchards that sell online. The farming orchards do have them but problem with that was they marketed the price too high and the freight was just too high. 1 plant cost $60+ and freight was $50 flat rate. They also have the bulk buy 5 plants $50 a plant and $250 private courier. All the online sites I usually buy from are all out of stock and have been for years.

Attachments

• CalamondinVarfruit_1024x1024.jpg
    CalamondinVarfruit_1024x1024.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 87

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow! Quite pricy! I guess it would be relatively rare to get?
What kind of climate does it usually grow in?

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Well it's quite similar to kumquats and their climates. Suitable to most climate really, if I remember correctly Mark has one of these fruit trees in his front yard. I remember he had a video about his whole fruit tree collection, it was very large collection too🤗. I love how it was showing a lot of different and interesting types of fruits that I haven't heard of.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well it's quite similar to kumquats and their climates. Suitable to most climate really, if I remember correctly Mark has one of these fruit trees in his front yard. I remember he had a video about his whole fruit tree collection, it was very large collection too🤗. I love how it was showing a lot of different and interesting types of fruits that I haven't heard of.
Thank you! Very interesting. I love seeing new things also :D

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@ JP 1983 Well these fruits are mainly used for a filipino dish called pancit. Used like a lemon or a lime to squeeze the juice over the top of it, and it gives it unique flavour really good canned and used as jams and chutneys. Wish I had one though 😕.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes, they have a long lasting flavour that doesn't go away quite as fast as other citrus. If you like lingering citrus flavour in your mouth, well then you'll have to try and get hold on a citrus called yuzu that's a very unique flavour that also lingers in your mouth.

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes, they have a long lasting flavour that doesn't go away quite as fast as other citrus. If you like lingering citrus flavour in your mouth, well then you'll have to try and get hold on a citrus called yuzu that's a very unique flavour that also lingers in your mouth.
Actually my favourite has to be hallabbong, otherwise known here as Sumo mandarin (only available Aug-Sept). Those skins are the best for zesting and candying purposes, the fruits are huge, seedless and easy to peel, and the flavour is second to none!

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yes they are one of my favourite too. Great for all kinds of cooking and preserving.

Top Bottom