Question Where can I get ivermectin for chickens in Australia?

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Mark, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Where can I buy ivermectin for my chickens? is one of the most asked questions I get from people via email and other means so I want to dedicate this thread to where it can be purchased and the types of ivermectin products or dosages available etc. Please DON'T discuss the ethics of ivermectin in this thread - either create a new thread discussion or go here to this discussion already opened on ivermectin.

Places I know that currently sell ivermectin in Australia
    EDIT: Unfortunately, the places noted in this post no longer sell ivermectin based products for chickens. If anyone is aware of a place that does sell it please let me know here or contact me via the contact form below or on my blog. I suspect they have stopped selling the product due to legal reasons - but this is just a guess.

City Chicks in Brisbane still sell it (they are now calling it "Chicken
    Drops") go here and use this postcode 4000 http://citychicks.com.au/products/121/ EDIT: They have since removed this product without reason.

I don't know if they will post interstate or if City Chicks in your state stock it but this is where I get mine from.

The other place that used to openly sell ivermectin, however they don't any more, is Little Valley Poultry but if you look at this link here EDIT: This website is now gone... on their website for this Avimec product (which is ivermectin) you will see they have stated at the bottom "Please contact me directly for dosage for poultry" - I don't know exactly what this means, although my guess is they will either advise a bigger dosage of Avimec for hens (probably 1 mil) or they will disclose another ivermectin product that they sell "privately."

If you want to know more information about ivermectin and the use of this substance on chickens to control mites and lice have a read of my article: Real Truth about mite & lice treatment on chickens and go to the ivermectin section.

Also in this article, I investigate where to buy ivermectin from in bulk.

If I find more places to purchase ivermectin from specifically for use on chickens I will add them to this thread. Feel free to add your own contacts or links as well.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I know ivermectin is used in humans for the treatment of parasitic infections like head lice, scabies and strongyloides gastroenteritis. It's sold as Stromectol in Australia indicated for scabies, and available in tablets of 3mg for oral consumption. Usual dose is 200mcg/kg body weight. I suppose it can be prescribed as a private script by any doctor and sourced through a large pharmacy if the indication is declared and the doctor is happy to do this...

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    But for a chicken I suppose you'd kindly point your customer/patient to the vet?

I do know of people who get their ivermectin in bulk from their vet but not all would be willing to give it out as a preventative.

Still, the local vet is worth a try for people finding it hard to source ivermectin.

4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I would have to say that, i.e. Go to your trusty vet (definitely at the professional level) but also dosage needs to be right for the birds to avoid side effects.

• Like Like x 1