When to grow spuds in Sub Tropical climate

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Letsgokate, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've looked up on the net when "they" say to grown potatoes in a sub-tropical climate like Brisbane and "they" say from August, Spring. I was thinking that was a bit late as last year we hardly had a spring, it got hot real quick.

So when do people suggest to plant seed potatoes? @Mark when do you plant yours?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Kate, for people who live in the subtropics (in general - at sea level) I recommend planting your seed potatoes in Autumn, which means March in our region.

Sometimes potatoes can be planted as early as February if summer was particularly mild or late March in the case of a hot prolonged summer but autumn for subtropics is a good guide.

You can plant potatoes through winter going into spring in subtropical frost-free areas; however, I have had best results planting in autumn so the plants establish well before winter hits producing a good midwinter harvest. If the weather is too cold potatoes may stay dormant in the soil and/or early growth can be really slow.

Planting in august (last month of winter) to develop through spring before the summer heat can be successful also as long as A - August isn't too cold (because the potatoes won't grow until later) and B - summer doesn't come too early as the subtropical heat will induce plant dieback and encourage diseases which in turn limits tuber growth.

I have some seed potatoes in already and I recommend getting them all in before the end of April.

In theory, you can get two harvests of potatoes per year in the subtropics by planting before winter and just before spring but I do reckon the pre-winter planting is the best. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Mark I was thinking along the same lines, it's just when I looked it up they said spring. Be into it all very soon.

• Like Like x 1