When the wife wants Lawn......

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Leanne (my wife) wanted the area where Lilly (my daughter) had her swings to be made into a Lawn area..... Yes I did say LAWN
So outcome the rotary hoe and break up the compacted soil, then spread the soil levelish with the landscapers rack (945mm) then got a couple of square metres of Sir Walter Buffalo grass cut into little squares and placed out to spread

Just in case your thinking should put veggie garden there, I'm lucky enough to have 20 acres, we have grass but no nice lawn areas to sit
And yes i already have a large area for veggies and fruit

So Turf it is then

Been told it will work let’s see how it goes
IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1421.jpg
Cheers Lucas

Last edited:

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
If you find some buffalo runners a few (5-8 inches) inches long, make some 45 degree incisions into the soil and plant one end of the runner and tamp down the soil...Buffalo runners take and grow well and help fill in patches over time too.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
lawn has it's benefits, it will help keep that area cooler in the summer provided you keep the water up to it and it will also provide cut grass/lawn clippings, good for gardens and chickens :)

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, lawn certainly is nice to look at and have but does require a lot of water to keep it nice through the dry season.
Also, make sure you lay it on the softest soil mix you can find and don't walk on that until it is fully covered with grass.
If it goes hard the grass won't grow as well and require even more water.
Also, fertilize thew crap out of it!

DavianHancock

What an exciting project! It's wonderful that you're creating a special lawn area for your family to enjoy.
I can relate to wanting a cozy spot to relax and unwind outdoors. When we transformed our backyard, it became a hub for gatherings and making memories. Considering the size of your property, having designated spaces for different purposes makes perfect sense. And hey, if you ever decide to add a bit of flair, planting creeping thyme along the borders could add a lovely touch.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I can only imagine what I nice bit of kept grass would be like. It'd be quite lovley. I'm personally contemplating on killing the grass just about everywhere near the property as it's just full of weeds. Guinnea grass is taking over and it's hard to get rid of. But there is also sensitive weed, which has stung me more than once and I cannot go barefoot without risking "splinters" anymore.

Having a nice piece of grass where you can just lay down on and earth yourself sounds lovely. I enjoy going barefoot as much as possible. We've got a little creek through our backyard during wetseason and I love standing in it when it's gently flowing.

Alpenrose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I have the perfect place to put a lawn--have been thinking about it for years! This place is where the old lean-to garage was and the soil took in lots of gas and oil--that was way back in 1982. Since then some weeds have grown over it and it is hard as rock. Last year I had it sprayed for knapweed. Coming into spring I can see there is still some weed turning green. I have been told to just spray it again and then lay down about 2inches of mulch (?) and then sprinkle with Kentucky Blue Grass. Would like to have your thoughts on this, before I go making a fool of myself!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Honestly might work. You'd be surprised at how hardy grass can be, especially if you're giving it this extra layer.
Granddad used to pour his oil, old fuel, etc into the soil here too. But you wouldn't know where as the grass has grown over it.

Top Bottom