When the wife wants Lawn......

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
St Andrews, Victoria
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Leanne (my wife) wanted the area where Lilly (my daughter) had her swings to be made into a Lawn area..... Yes I did say LAWN
So outcome the rotary hoe and break up the compacted soil, then spread the soil levelish with the landscapers rack (945mm) then got a couple of square metres of Sir Walter Buffalo grass cut into little squares and placed out to spread

Just in case your thinking should put veggie garden there, I'm lucky enough to have 20 acres, we have grass but no nice lawn areas to sit
And yes i already have a large area for veggies and fruit

So Turf it is then

Been told it will work let’s see how it goes
IMG_1418.jpg IMG_1421.jpg
Cheers Lucas

Last edited:

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
If you find some buffalo runners a few (5-8 inches) inches long, make some 45 degree incisions into the soil and plant one end of the runner and tamp down the soil...Buffalo runners take and grow well and help fill in patches over time too.

Reactions: Lucas

Vicky

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
lawn has it's benefits, it will help keep that area cooler in the summer provided you keep the water up to it and it will also provide cut grass/lawn clippings, good for gardens and chickens :)

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, lawn certainly is nice to look at and have but does require a lot of water to keep it nice through the dry season.
Also, make sure you lay it on the softest soil mix you can find and don't walk on that until it is fully covered with grass.
If it goes hard the grass won't grow as well and require even more water.
Also, fertilize thew crap out of it!