Wheelie bin composting toilet

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Wedgetail, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When we first moved to this block we had no water so I built a wheelie bin composting toilet I used the half size bin as it would fit under the old shack we are using. Its been in operation nearly 6 months with only the odd time any smell was noticeable but in all works pretty good. Put up some photos of the bin etc.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wedgetail, it's such a simple idea, no one would expect it to work.
    But the simplest things work best.:thumbsup:

When I built my first house at Maleny, it was a Shearer's quarters style old rural looking shed type house. I put in a composting toilet based on plans purchased from Nature Loo (Australia). I used a wheelie bin for the container.

It was so simple yet worked so well. That toilet was in service for about 7yrs.
    Every 6mths I wheeled it down to the compost heaps where the contents got put in their own bin to finish brewing another two years with the addition of various ingredients.

I painted the year and month on the lid of each compost bin so it could be used in chronological order in 2yrs time. It went around fruit trees, flower gardens, bamboo, etc.

The people who bought that property continued to use that same setup for another couple years until they built their big rammed earth house.

3. Wedgetail

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi ClissAT it's my first attempt at this and quiet happy with results first bin lasted 9 weeks second bin 14 weeks so it's not to much drama to have a empty bin ready to swap and only takes me about 10 min to swap out total bin fit out was about $85 a bin seat and seat box made for $20 complete setup with 6 bins about $500 next door put in a septic no change from $6000 and you have to keep up water. Cheers Dave

4. Matthew Duke

Matthew Duke Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    This is disgusting and practical, I love it. Keep up the great work Dave

5. Wedgetail

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks Matthew it's not as bad as it seems when you go to the loo you cover the deposit with sawdust which helps to dry things out which stops the smell a good running system doesn't smell when then bin is full just pop the lid on and wheel it down the back away from the house all vents are covered so no fly breading. Cheers Dave

6. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Not sure I would get approval Dave, from the Director of Domestic Bliss... but would be handy up in the barn.

• Like Like x 1