Question What's the new additions to the garden does everyone have?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nah no online stuff for Narangba nursery unfortunately.
Cool ideas for the viet mint! I really love this type of mint.
You seem more advanced with your exotic plant sourcing than me. Seed sourcing seems way to go. I also follow Jeremy Corby-Williams on Gardening Australia (and there’s a new guest presenter from NSW Northern Rivers now as well) - they often introduce new subtropical fruits and veggies but I don’t necessarily know where to source them. Another thing I do is go to markets and independent green grocers and find weird veggies and try to grow them, or I ask my Indian and Sri Lankan, Philippino friends/work colleagues what produce they miss now they’re in Australia and then try to source. Sometimes they get veggies from places I don’t know about, and I try to grow seeds, or they know names of things they can’t find here and I try to source….but I don’t have much luck overall with this
Do you have any nurseries near you at all? Often you can ask them where they source from as well if they don't have what you want. I found a nursery in town that I didn't know of as they don't do a lot online. I've heard about it from people working in botanic gardens.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nah no online stuff for Narangba nursery unfortunately.
Cool ideas for the viet mint! I really love this type of mint.
You seem more advanced with your exotic plant sourcing than me. Seed sourcing seems way to go. I also follow Jeremy Corby-Williams on Gardening Australia (and there’s a new guest presenter from NSW Northern Rivers now as well) - they often introduce new subtropical fruits and veggies but I don’t necessarily know where to source them. Another thing I do is go to markets and independent green grocers and find weird veggies and try to grow them, or I ask my Indian and Sri Lankan, Philippino friends/work colleagues what produce they miss now they’re in Australia and then try to source. Sometimes they get veggies from places I don’t know about, and I try to grow seeds, or they know names of things they can’t find here and I try to source….but I don’t have much luck overall with this
Well I have done a large amount of research before I purchase the varieties I like as for seed sourcing the rarer the better so I'll get general things from the general garden veggies websites for seeds but IF I come across a rare seeds site I'll research what they have to offer before I'll include it into my websites to keep.
Well Viet mint packs quite a punch when it comes to the flavour. Has it's own distinct flavor. Can quite explain.

Who's Jeremy corby-williams? The guys I know that are gardening Australia presenters are Costa, Jerry Coleby-Williams, Tino, Millie Ross and Josh Byren. I don't really follow many of the Gardening Australia folks except for Costa and Jerry.
I pretty much do exactly what you do is ask all the people I know that are different back ground what sort of things they can't get here in Australia and miss.

The farmers market here in dubbo isn't that exotic. Nothing too special.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Planted some wing bean seedlings today. Another crop I’ve never eaten before. Added a butterfly pea for colour as well (another newbie for me)
View attachment 6140
Yeah I've already got wing beans in the ground already and they are looking good but aphids and white flies were trying to get to them but got some Marigolds today and I'll get dirty tomorrow and sort those white flies out. I'm think of planting a pea eggplant, but I think I'm a bit last in the season to do so.

Got some rats tail radish seedlings going atm 16368651687436529165787699008977.jpg
I've also got korean shiso/perilla already going steady, I transferred a few friday. 16368652951687446669367716947811.jpg 16368653112085374998294939283956.jpg

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well I have done a large amount of research before I purchase the varieties I like as for seed sourcing the rarer the better so I'll get general things from the general garden veggies websites for seeds but IF I come across a rare seeds site I'll research what they have to offer before I'll include it into my websites to keep.
Well Viet mint packs quite a punch when it comes to the flavour. Has it's own distinct flavor. Can quite explain.

Who's Jeremy corby-williams? The guys I know that are gardening Australia presenters are Costa, Jerry Coleby-Williams, Tino, Millie Ross and Josh Byren. I don't really follow many of the Gardening Australia folks except for Costa and Jerry.
I pretty much do exactly what you do is ask all the people I know that are different back ground what sort of things they can't get here in Australia and miss.

The farmers market here in dubbo isn't that exotic. Nothing too special.
Jeremey is the same Jerry you’re talking abojt
If you want some taro I could post you some young plants (don’t want them but don’t want to kill them)

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Jeremey is the same Jerry you’re talking abojt
If you want some taro I could post you some young plants (don’t want them but don’t want to kill them)
Thanks for the offer for the taro plants des but I don't use taro very often in my cooking even tho my background is asian haha 😄 funny that. Have you every has perilla/shiso herb before? Maybe next time if I got something you don’t have I can post it to you. We'll do some seed and plant swaps sound like a good Idea?
Anything else interesting that's growing on your side of the state?

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
https://www.allrareherbs.com.au/ Try this place for unusual plants.
Thanks Helen for the suggestion. I've already got this website on my arsenal list for rare plants and seeds. Especially the the ones from Australia. Too hard to import the seeds from overseas that won't get destroyed through the customs border of security. Really strict on exotic seeds. I have read through most pages of the rules and regulations of agriculture import. Too much information to absorb, that was few years ago it could be stricter nowadays.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@desman If you haven't had any takers for the taro I will take it now that I have a tub to put it in. Please let me know price plus postage.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for the offer for the taro plants des but I don't use taro very often in my cooking even tho my background is asian haha 😄 funny that. Have you every has perilla/shiso herb before? Maybe next time if I got something you don’t have I can post it to you. We'll do some seed and plant swaps sound like a good Idea?
All good. Yeah I had shiso before. Think I got it from bunnings or maybe it was markets. Yeah happy to do a plant swap whenever. You might have more variety than me though. 😀
I have what I think are some good banana varieties but not good to move them around for biosecurity reasons. I have these rainbow chilli plants which my friends love and I love giving their seedlings to people…but they are prob common in most areas (although I haven’t seen them much).
C6068C80-52F1-44D9-A79A-527E52EBE188.jpeg

Attachments

• 7B6C659C-DEC7-4D82-A844-7C5E99DF21B7.jpeg
    7B6C659C-DEC7-4D82-A844-7C5E99DF21B7.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 92

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Also, have you ever grown daikon? I found it copes well with our climate, has a mild but refreshing taste and pests leave it alone (and the chooks live the leaves)

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@desman If you haven't had any takers for the taro I will take it now that I have a tub to put it in. Please let me know price plus postage.
Yay I don’t need to murder my baby taro. No probs I’ll message you. If postage is small don’t worry about any $

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Also, have you ever grown daikon? I found it copes well with our climate, has a mild but refreshing taste and pests leave it alone (and the chooks live the leaves)
Oh the good old razzmatazz chillies my parents use to grown these all the time. Got use to the flavour and the spice level so we planted another one I don't know what variety it is though they're still growing them. Have you heard of aji charapita chillies? I've got some of those coming still quite small can't quite transplant them yet. I read that they are slow growers.

Yeah I've grown diakons they are really easy to grow in the Temperate climate too, but not true with the pest factor though. I had aphids dessimate them the last time I grew them. That was when I first started growing things for myself, I learnt a lot from My dad though, his a real gardener too. He use to own his own veggies farm a long long time ago. I was thinking of trying to grow the korean radishes this season very similar to diakons but rounder, bigger in diameter and stumppier. Have you tried pickling the radish greens, for me they taste scrumptious.

I do have a few things coming along rats tail radish I have those as seedlings, I have heaps of roman chamomile seedling sprouts coming up. I have also korean shiso they are ready to go. I have the Vietnamese perilla/shiso in seeds was thinking of planting those next season. I've got few things that is almost ready but not quite ready for transfer other then the korean shiso that's going wild.

Anything in particular you would like to grow in curiosity of the plant or fruit?

Gardenfuher

Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I'm attempting to grow some old seeds my husbands grandparents brought to Australia from east Europe back in the 60s. The actual seeds are only about 7 years old though as that's when they got too old to tend their own gardens.

I have a type of tomatoe that looks kind of like a beefsteak (We're calling them ugly grandmas) and a pepper that kind of looks like a banana capsicum (were calling those long green grandpas).

I've got the tomatoes going but not having much luck with the pepper unfortunately.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@ Gardenfuher
Did you direct sow the seeds? I do know that tomatoes are pretty hearty and won't really be an issue with germination but on the other hand with peppers they need the right climates to start germinating. Especially with old seeds what I do is try at least to germinate the seeds quicker is soaking them just over night then put them into seedling trays. That way you won't be waiting a million years with anticipation wondering when are they going to pop out. Just care for it as usual, regularly water it and give them their sun when needed. So if they don't sprout whilst in the trays you can alway reuse the soil, but be warned though depending on the variety of that pepper they might just pop up out of the blue when unexpected. That's what happened with my pepper seeds, had them over 4 yrs (not as long as your seeds were but still) planted them this year in a container they never sprouted so incorporated all that soil into another pot and it decided to spout. It all depends on the condition of the soil, the climate it will be in, nutrients within the soil and the fertiliser you will be using on it.
Sorry for rambling, I hope that kinda helped with the old chillies/pepper seeds issue.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Oh the good old razzmatazz chillies my parents use to grown these all the time. Got use to the flavour and the spice level so we planted another one I don't know what variety it is though they're still growing them. Have you heard of aji charapita chillies? I've got some of those coming still quite small can't quite transplant them yet. I read that they are slow growers.

Yeah I've grown diakons they are really easy to grow in the Temperate climate too, but not true with the pest factor though. I had aphids dessimate them the last time I grew them. That was when I first started growing things for myself, I learnt a lot from My dad though, his a real gardener too. He use to own his own veggies farm a long long time ago. I was thinking of trying to grow the korean radishes this season very similar to diakons but rounder, bigger in diameter and stumppier. Have you tried pickling the radish greens, for me they taste scrumptious.

I do have a few things coming along rats tail radish I have those as seedlings, I have heaps of roman chamomile seedling sprouts coming up. I have also korean shiso they are ready to go. I have the Vietnamese perilla/shiso in seeds was thinking of planting those next season. I've got few things that is almost ready but not quite ready for transfer other then the korean shiso that's going wild.

Anything in particular you would like to grow in curiosity of the plant or fruit?
Hey that’s so generous. If you can spare any seedlings, message me and we can sort how to swap or post. Wouldn’t mind to try Korean shiso and Roman chamomile. Never heard of those aji charapita chilies…always in the look out for new chilies. I make my own oil. Normally I would have jars to give away but I gave away heaps recently and gobbled the last few jars. Other than that can’t think of anything else to swap/trade, but can give you some $. Oh, I do have cucamelons if you want a few baby vines
402CA588-4373-4D31-87BC-0B4C6356FCA5.jpeg
5F1F46B5-EB56-412C-A472-B37CCE7D66AE.jpeg

Jason890

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have this gold /yellow bamboo plant at home
I thought beaudy can cut some of these for tomato stakes for free
So just cut off a few branches with the demo saw cut to length trimmed all the leaves and what not off
Hammer into raised bed screwed to the edge of the timber frame
Now the things are growing better then the tomato plant 🤣
They must be super easy to grow from cuttings if anyone interested in how to do it

Attachments

• DACD7B82-4C1D-4213-BA90-EF8F09BDE791.jpeg
    DACD7B82-4C1D-4213-BA90-EF8F09BDE791.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 93
  • 72828A28-A2CD-49BF-B117-CFC72A18CB9F.jpeg
    72828A28-A2CD-49BF-B117-CFC72A18CB9F.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 95
  • CCADEFBC-400B-4B2B-A9C6-8411CB6DDBFA.jpeg
    CCADEFBC-400B-4B2B-A9C6-8411CB6DDBFA.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 94

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey that’s so generous. If you can spare any seedlings, message me and we can sort how to swap or post. Wouldn’t mind to try Korean shiso and Roman chamomile. Never heard of those aji charapita chilies…always in the look out for new chilies. I make my own oil. Normally I would have jars to give away but I gave away heaps recently and gobbled the last few jars. Other than that can’t think of anything else to swap/trade, but can give you some $. Oh, I do have cucamelons if you want a few baby vines
View attachment 6151
View attachment 6152
Yeah that's great, I like to swap you that cucamelon for my korean shiso. How many would you like? Have you done swaps before? Because I have no Idea how to do it, I do plan on doing it a lot though. I can send you some of my roman chamomile when they are bushing out a bit more, it'll probably take another month or so until then, maybe you can send me some of those rainbow chillies if you have any started but if not the seeds in pods would be good too. Well I'll be happy to even swap for a couple jars of you homemade chilli oil. Up to though.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have this gold /yellow bamboo plant at home
I thought beaudy can cut some of these for tomato stakes for free
So just cut off a few branches with the demo saw cut to length trimmed all the leaves and what not off
Hammer into raised bed screwed to the edge of the timber frame
Now the things are growing better then the tomato plant 🤣
They must be super easy to grow from cuttings if anyone interested in how to do it
Bamboo is pretty hearty they never stop growing, once pruned they'll grow wild. They love being manicured, especially your golden bamboo variety.
Oh I'd love to grow bamboo at home, just don't have the room to cater for it. If only I had a bigger property then that wouldn't any problem. Maybe in later future I'll have to hit you up on how to grow bamboo from cuttings.

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You can cure your bamboo to prep it for use by mixing up a bucket of borax solution and soaking the cut ends. Apparently you can literally see the culm drying as it works it's way up the plant tissues. Got that tip from a couple of Permies. Haven't yet tried it myself.

Grandmother Goose

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
My most recent garden project is building a flower garden bed at the front of my house. More flowers = more bees and other good bugs, is the concept. I've got one section mostly done, seeds and a few bulbs have been planted, seeds are now popping up, but as I used recycled soil from other parts of the yard with added compost and moo poo, weed seeds are also popping up like crazy, so I'm spending a lot of time pulling up little weeds as soon as they're large enough for me to identify them.

Top Bottom