Question What's the new additions to the garden does everyone have?

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi everyone around Australia and around the world!!!
I'm interested in how people around Australia and around the world what interesting plants and rare plants they have added newly to their garden recently, maybe even projects that is coming along the way. Maybe even drop a few gardening tips about those plants and projects along the way. Love to hear from y'all and post some photos up if you wanna show them off too 😁

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have been working on re-doing my plants after a heavy hailstorm killed the majority of them... so pictures would consist of very empty looking pots as they've been replanted and have to grow to maturity again as I had to agressively cut back a lot of my plants. I've still got pineapple, chives, parsley, cabbage and passionfruit. I'll have to see if my beans and spring onions will return now that I've replanted them from damaged plants.

Cobbadiggabuddyblooo

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Growing some tapioca or sometimes known as cassava again this yr. Very hardy plant and harvest the roots each yr. and can be used like most root crops as a filler but the wife makes a wonderful cake with it.

Attachments

• 3C08B5DC-0EF5-41C1-89E3-EB6A0833CD91.png
    3C08B5DC-0EF5-41C1-89E3-EB6A0833CD91.png
    486.4 KB · Views: 103

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I put some yacon seedlings in today. Haven’t grown them or tasted them before, looking forward to the harvest. Also put in some green zebra tomorrow’s which I have also never grown/eaten.

I’ve also started growing a chilacayote (a type of tropical squash/melon). It’s a bit different. Can’t wait to harvest this one…another I’ve never even eaten before.

I’ve also tried growing cucumber for the first time this spring. They’ve gone mental. Can’t stop harvesting them. They’re big and sweet. Harvested 7 on Sunday. 5 big ones again today.

48A55733-977E-4120-A308-3E75478C165E.jpeg
87E248B4-57C2-46CF-9AD6-1007ED97E0A6.jpeg

Cobbadiggabuddyblooo

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sweeeet Lookin cuc’s
Just put the cucumbers in a week ago and they are going great guns too. Never heard of any of the exotics you planted Desman

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out to my sugarloaf cabbages (in which I had cut most of the leaves off about a week or so ago because the cabbage moth caterpillars ate most of the leaves) and found whole, intact leaves growing nicely on it :)
I had also hacked back my tomato plant to within an inch of its life, literally, because the fruit fly smashed it and it had lost most of its leaves too. Happy to see it had new leaves growing all over the little stump I left in the pot lol
I just ordered some insect netting off ebay so hopefully I will be able to cover future crops before this becomes an issue again :)

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have been working on re-doing my plants after a heavy hailstorm killed the majority of them... so pictures would consist of very empty looking pots as they've been replanted and have to grow to maturity again as I had to agressively cut back a lot of my plants. I've still got pineapple, chives, parsley, cabbage and passionfruit. I'll have to see if my beans and spring onions will return now that I've replanted them from damaged plants.
Yes, I remember seeing a post of yours from the tropical climate post. Poor things they got destroyed, I know that the spring onions will definitely spring back as long as the roots hasn't been damaged they ay okay. As for beans I'm not too sure on that. Wish I could help though.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Growing some tapioca or sometimes known as cassava again this yr. Very hardy plant and harvest the roots each yr. and can be used like most root crops as a filler but the wife makes a wonderful cake with it.
Wow sounds and looks prolific like it's a very productive harvest when it comes to it. See I like growing obscure exotic fruits and vegetable plants, a bit like Mark. I like the rare and unusual stuff in the garden. This is still my actual 1st year of fully gardening, in the past I was here nor there with gardening. I'm hoping for the best like your cassava plant.
Anything else exotic in the garden?

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Sweeeet Lookin cuc’s
Just put the cucumbers in a week ago and they are going great guns too. Never heard of any of the exotics you planted Desman
Lol my cucs are just stating to climb, they are looking amazing too. I planted mine about a month ago though.
16365888567903998045160785820708.jpg
16365889128771008630593325095391.jpg

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out to my sugarloaf cabbages (in which I had cut most of the leaves off about a week or so ago because the cabbage moth caterpillars ate most of the leaves) and found whole, intact leaves growing nicely on it :)
I had also hacked back my tomato plant to within an inch of its life, literally, because the fruit fly smashed it and it had lost most of its leaves too. Happy to see it had new leaves growing all over the little stump I left in the pot lol
I just ordered some insect netting off ebay so hopefully I will be able to cover future crops before this becomes an issue again :)
OMG, that's a miracle how nature can just bounce back from nothing to prolific growth with the plants. Love it. I live in the temperate climate so the cabbage moths, slug, snails, aphids and all of the above category of pest just came and decimated most my crops that was a couple of seasons ago though. Now I'm prepared. Bring it on. I hope that the pest don't get the better of your tomarty plants this time.

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I put some yacon seedlings in today. Haven’t grown them or tasted them before, looking forward to the harvest. Also put in some green zebra tomorrow’s which I have also never grown/eaten.

I’ve also started growing a chilacayote (a type of tropical squash/melon). It’s a bit different. Can’t wait to harvest this one…another I’ve never even eaten before.

I’ve also tried growing cucumber for the first time this spring. They’ve gone mental. Can’t stop harvesting them. They’re big and sweet. Harvested 7 on Sunday. 5 big ones again today.

View attachment 6122
View attachment 6123
Haha what a coincidence I got a yacon seedling just last week delivered to me, I'm in the boat as you. It's in it's pot now looking so healthy and thriving. I've never grown them either and this is my first time too. We should keep each other posted on our updates of the plant. Oh and of course all the other exotic ones you have planted too. I'd like to know the progress on those too, I might even plant some of those varieties you planted. Give 411 on how they grow and what troubles you come across too.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha what a coincidence I got a yacon seedling just last week delivered to me, I'm in the boat as you. It's in it's pot now looking so healthy and thriving. I've never grown them either and this is my first time too. We should keep each other posted on our updates of the plant. Oh and of course all the other exotic ones you have planted too. I'd like to know the progress on those too, I might even plant some of those varieties you planted. Give 411 on how they grow and what troubles you come across too.
Yeah sounds good. My yacons are looking better than my chilacayote, which is sharing a large pot with Vietnamese mint and cucumber….it’s a bit shady so it needs to grow up the trellis before it can get more sun and thrive. Apparently the vine can reach 15m in length. As usual I have not planned for the space so will have to cross that bridge when I come to it

Just re-read my original post and I wrote “green zebra tomorrow’s” instead of “green zebra tomatoes”…or at least my spell check did. I got the green zebras and chilacayote as well as a heap of other seeds from GreenHarvest (online but based on Maleny in QLD). They have a special section for heat-loving veggies. I also got other things like Egyptian spinach, kankong, perpetual spinach, Timor lettuce, different tomatoes etc. I recommend checking out GreenHarvest’s heat-loving veggie seeds list if you’re in the subtropics and Australia. If you’re not in Aust, you could always check out the list on their website of heat loving veggies and try to source locally.

https://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/SeedsHotHumidAreas.html

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah sounds good. My yacons are looking better than my chilacayote, which is sharing a large pot with Vietnamese mint and cucumber….it’s a bit shady so it needs to grow up the trellis before it can get more sun and thrive. Apparently the vine can reach 15m in length. As usual I have not planned for the space so will have to cross that bridge when I come to it

Just re-read my original post and I wrote “green zebra tomorrow’s” instead of “green zebra tomatoes”…or at least my spell check did. I got the green zebras and chilacayote as well as a heap of other seeds from GreenHarvest (online but based on Maleny in QLD). They have a special section for heat-loving veggies. I also got other things like Egyptian spinach, kankong, perpetual spinach, Timor lettuce, different tomatoes etc. I recommend checking out GreenHarvest’s heat-loving veggie seeds list if you’re in the subtropics and Australia. If you’re not in Aust, you could always check out the list on their website of heat loving veggies and try to source locally.

wow that website looks amazing! Are there any books that you recommend for subtropical qld?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
wow that website looks amazing! Are there any books that you recommend for subtropical qld?
I have a book called Garden Guides by Yates (and Harper Collins). It covers all climates beautifully. I have the 44th edition myself, but they might have newer ones by now :)

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

Nah I'm from Australia, so I know the green harvest site you’re talking about I've brought seeds there too, I also get seeds from seed mania, happy valley seeds, boondie seeds, the seed collection and a few other web sites around Australia. I usually get my plants from Daley's Fruit, citrus man and woodbridge fruit trees and the common fruit trees just at bunnings and other local nurseries. I am on the chase for verigated calamondin/calamansi citrus plant.
I've never heard of a chilacayote before, what is it?

I've got some vietnamese mint growing in buckets of shallow water, and my cucs are just starting to climb I should transfer them into a bed but my garden is a bit limited on raised bed atm. They are on the way though. My yacon growing vigorously about a cm or an inch a day after I potted it. I got some myoga ginger growing in front, I got my myoga ginger about a month ago and it's shot 2 new shoots already. So happy.

As for tomartys I had volunteers coming up from the compost, I wasn't planning on growing any tomatoes this year but hey I guess I am now 🤣. Well I've heard of the zebra stripes tomatoes but never grew them.

IF you've ever heard of rats tail radish I'm growing some of those as well just started them probably 2 weeks so they're still seedlings nothing to show yet.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nah I'm from Australia, so I know the green harvest site you’re talking about I've brought seeds there too, I also get seeds from seed mania, happy valley seeds, boondie seeds, the seed collection and a few other web sites around Australia. I usually get my plants from Daley's Fruit, citrus man and woodbridge fruit trees and the common fruit trees just at bunnings and other local nurseries. I am on the chase for verigated calamondin/calamansi citrus plant.
I've never heard of a chilacayote before, what is it?

I've got some vietnamese mint growing in buckets of shallow water, and my cucs are just starting to climb I should transfer them into a bed but my garden is a bit limited on raised bed atm. They are on the way though. My yacon growing vigorously about a cm or an inch a day after I potted it. I got some myoga ginger growing in front, I got my myoga ginger about a month ago and it's shot 2 new shoots already. So happy.

As for tomartys I had volunteers coming up from the compost, I wasn't planning on growing any tomatoes this year but hey I guess I am now 🤣. Well I've heard of the zebra stripes tomatoes but never grew them.

IF you've ever heard of rats tail radish I'm growing some of those as well just started them probably 2 weeks so they're still seedlings nothing to show yet.
Wow, awesome veggie arsenal there. I didn’t know of those other seed suppliers and will check them out. Daley’s is great. There is also a great nursery at Narangba (Narangba nursery). I got a red dacca banana from there recently (amongst other frivolities).

A chilacayote is, apparently, a subtropical melon. Some people call it fig leaf gourd. It has melon type fruit that is bla dish but good for cooking like squash or potato (but not as hard - good in curries etc to adsorb flavor). To be honest I don’t know much about it. I might have to take the Vietnamese mint out of the pot it’s sharing with the chilacayote as it’s taking up a lot of water.

https://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/VegetableSeeds/Squash.html

GreenThumbsUp

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, awesome veggie arsenal there. I didn’t know of those other seed suppliers and will check them out. Daley’s is great. There is also a great nursery at Narangba (Narangba nursery). I got a red dacca banana from there recently (amongst other frivolities).

A chilacayote is, apparently, a subtropical melon. Some people call it fig leaf gourd. It has melon type fruit that is bla dish but good for cooking like squash or potato (but not as hard - good in curries etc to adsorb flavor). To be honest I don’t know much about it. I might have to take the Vietnamese mint out of the pot it’s sharing with the chilacayote as it’s taking up a lot of water.

https://greenharvest.com.au/SeedOrganic/VegetableSeeds/Squash.html
Yeah I've been doing a lot of research to where I can source my rare and exotic seeds also plants too. As you have mentioned Narangba nursery, do they have do online stuff? It's because I'm way out from there and I live more in the regional area. So travelling will be a long way there, but if I ever pass through that way I'll definitely check it though.

Well you might not have to remove them, just have a squizz at what I've done with them.The container looks a bit dry atm lol. 16367143385477617523983191868677.jpg Well this is what I done put it in a pot of soil then use a ice cream container or even a tub that is a waste of space put it in use drill or poke a few holes on the side for how ever high the water level you desire for it to sit in then you won't be increasing your watering for the plants. As long the Vietnamese mint has partial shade and a container of water to drink from every so often you won't need to get rid of it. They are still going strong see.
16367148824876674725178251778416.jpg

Any other suggestions that you may know of for exotic, rare and rare native plants to buy online???

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah I've been doing a lot of research to where I can source my rare and exotic seeds also plants too. As you have mentioned Narangba nursery, do they have do online stuff? It's because I'm way out from there and I live more in the regional area. So travelling will be a long way there, but if I ever pass through that way I'll definitely check it though.

Well you might not have to remove them, just have a squizz at what I've done with them.The container looks a bit dry atm lol. View attachment 6132 Well this is what I done put it in a pot of soil then use a ice cream container or even a tub that is a waste of space put it in use drill or poke a few holes on the side for how ever high the water level you desire for it to sit in then you won't be increasing your watering for the plants. As long the Vietnamese mint has partial shade and a container of water to drink from every so often you won't need to get rid of it. They are still going strong see.
View attachment 6133

Any other suggestions that you may know of for exotic, rare and rare native plants to buy online???
Nah no online stuff for Narangba nursery unfortunately.
Cool ideas for the viet mint! I really love this type of mint.
You seem more advanced with your exotic plant sourcing than me. Seed sourcing seems way to go. I also follow Jeremy Corby-Williams on Gardening Australia (and there’s a new guest presenter from NSW Northern Rivers now as well) - they often introduce new subtropical fruits and veggies but I don’t necessarily know where to source them. Another thing I do is go to markets and independent green grocers and find weird veggies and try to grow them, or I ask my Indian and Sri Lankan, Philippino friends/work colleagues what produce they miss now they’re in Australia and then try to source. Sometimes they get veggies from places I don’t know about, and I try to grow seeds, or they know names of things they can’t find here and I try to source….but I don’t have much luck overall with this

Top Bottom