What you didn't know you need to know about burying animal carcasses in the veggie garden.

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Last edited by a moderator:

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good article. I don't have the depth for burying in my beds, so I add them into a compost bin next to a lemon tree. Seems to be working well enough. I've had to put the remains of 7 geese in there in the last 12 months. Things are still breaking down in that bin so fast that I haven't needed to empty it. Which is good. The last gander ended up there in January of this year, so I'm not going to be emptying it any time soon.

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Good article. I don't have the depth for burying in my beds, so I add them into a compost bin next to a lemon tree. Seems to be working well enough. I've had to put the remains of 7 geese in there in the last 12 months. Things are still breaking down in that bin so fast that I haven't needed to empty it. Which is good. The last gander ended up there in January of this year, so I'm not going to be emptying it any time soon.
Oooh! It never occurred to me to mention composting. They'll break down very fast in a hot bed of compost, if it's hot enough sometimes it'll only take a couple of weeks for a small animal, though it'll make the compost bin rather smelly whist they do so. Don't put them in worm farms though, the types of worms in worm farms don't like it at all and it could kill them. In a garden bed or an on-the-ground compost bine they can move away from it until it's done, but in a worm farm there's no escape from the cadaverine for them.

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Completely agree, I don't think the worm farm worms would handle that at all, and the smell would just linger for ages. The smell in the compost is gone in about 5 days. And it's far, far from the house. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom