What is your best and favourite garden tool for raised beds?

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Mark, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's my favourite garden tool for raised beds...

I also wrote a short article about this entrenching tool it can be found here :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Nice video. I had to think for a minute about it, but after watching the video I remembered. I use one like this below, a small pick, which is about the same size as the one you've shown. It stays in the garden. I also use the sharp pick end to dig weeds out of the lawn.

If the chickens see me with it they run over to me waiting for me to dig soil and because they get right under it and look for worms... smallpick.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah that's a good tool also.

My Grandfather used to opal mine and I inherited his small pick similar to yours (but much older) he used this for the final stages of chipping around a suspected opal to ensure more control so the gem wasn't accidentally damaged. I still grab it out of the shed and use it in the garden occasionally especially to use around growing plants to chip away weeds.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

The first thing i thought of when i saw the title of your video was my ET tool too!
    Great video Mark and so true. The ET tool is my go-to tool for just about everything.
    Just moved into the new house and needed to sort out some drainage channels to divert water away from the house, straight to the ET tool! Needed to scape up some gravel and move it into a drain, ET tool....

I have two of them as you never know when you might break one. Must have a spare as I would be lost without my ET.

The other thing they are great for is measuring the correct size of your fighting pit, too big and it's too easy to lob a grenade in ya hole. :twothumbsup:
    Ok, maybe some counselling wouldn't go astray :confused:

Go the ET!

(PS: when are you doing a video on the F.R.E.D?)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hahaha! F'en Ridiculous Eating Device! I still have several of them too!

Good to hear you're settling in to your new home - how exciting :twothumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    plumbers shovel.jpg
    Mine is the plumber’s shovel. Man, that thing digs great, its light and just the right size for multitasking. You can dig a hole with it, dig weeds out while you stand, hill up the garden beds, make new garden beds, lean on it to rest or to ease my 48 year old body down to a bending position when working around the garden... oh, I do squeak......LOL

Ooops, I forgot the raised bed part, lol...I got excited about my shovel... My raised beds are still close to the ground and once upon a time I would sit on my legs as I work around my garden still sitting in that position. Nowadays, I lean on my new shovel. For years, I used this $5 trowel that I bought from Kmart and it is the mini version of my plumber's shovel.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2