What Does the Fruit From Citrus Rootstock Taste Like?

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
We have a similar issue with rootstock, but more typically apples, plums, and similar fruit. I may have such an experiment going on with a couple of our apples as the wildlife has girdled some of the stems.

I find it interesting that our grafts are typically done much closer to the ground than what Mark showed. I don’t know if that’s a difference based on the type of tree or a regional preference or something else.

In some respects, every year in the garden is an experiment as we don’t know what the weather will hold. The last couple of years, we’ve tried new things (and hopefully learned from the results - time will tell on that front).

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm guessing that the type of rootstock and age of the plant/tree might have something to do with it as well. Some plants keep growing from the bottom up for a good long while, meaning the graft might end up higher than where it began. Also, it may depend on how deeply it was planted.

In saying this I am no expert and actually am trying to grow a lemonade tree myself - though it is still small right now.

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I guess it comes down to the reason for grafting in the first place. In our area, part of the root of the issue is hardiness of the rootstock - rootstock is used (at least in part) to control the size of the tree or so the tree can survive a particular climate. If the desired fruit had its own hardy, well behaved rootstock, we wouldn’t be grafting in the first place, so we shouldn’t expect the fruit of the rootstock to be as desirable as that of the scion.

Here, some of the rootstock used is from crab apples - they are typically smaller and not as sweet as the apples / pears that are desired. However, some crabapples are quite nice from a flavour profile as well as flowering profile. Since much native fruit here isn’t as sweet as tropical fruits, recipes have been developed that take advantage of this fact.

Just some thoughts….

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's so interesting!
I don't actually know what they use as rootstock as on the labels all they do is talk about the grafted on plant - but I would be curious to find out what they use.

Top Bottom