Question What are these creeps in my tomato?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had this roma tomato on a counter to ripen, and now whilst cutting it ooen there are tiny worms in it. What are they?
20220927_124750.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I had such a feeling it was because of a fruit fly...
I hadn't even seen any fruit flies pestering my garden yet though, so it came as quite the surprise!

Cathy

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is the reason I usually only grow tomatoes in the winter to try and avoid them but there must be some mutants around because I have them bad this winter...

I'm going to try and totally net the tomatoes because they can still be pollinated with wind...

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I grew these tomatoes in the winter, but they refused to flower until summer. I'd maybe gotten a whopping total of 3 ripe tomatoes off of 4 plants all winter.

Thing is... I haven't seen any bugs yet! So this took me by surprise. In previous years I could see them hanging around.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I grew these tomatoes in the winter, but they refused to flower until summer. I'd maybe gotten a whopping total of 3 ripe tomatoes off of 4 plants all winter.

Thing is... I haven't seen any bugs yet! So this took me by surprise. In previous years I could see them hanging around.
Frustrating isn't it. I have grown tomatoes in QLD, Vic, NSW pretty much all my life, thus far, and here in SEQ is the only place I have struggled for success. Between critters and blight I have been very disappointed. Good luck!

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Frustrating isn't it ... Between critters and blight I have been very disappointed. Good luck!
Tell me about it. I finally got a decent cherry 'mato going in a pot. It's set more than a dozen trusses so far but then the rain came... followed by the damn white mould. That mould has killed every single crop of my 'matoes so far. But I'll keep going. I told myself, "As long as I get one fruit from each attempt, I can keep attempting indefinitely." Ha!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yah I hear you both. It's quite frustrating at times. I'm hoping to perhaps grow some mint around it - I hear it helps. I do wonder if I should just grow the mint n a pot on top/next to th plant as it's so invasive..

I'm currently not at home (I'm in Brisbane for the first time!), nad just got a flood warning for home. My poor plants, but I can't do anything from here (and I definitely won't ask granddad to pick up the heavy pots). Ah well, I can always start over. I'm not giving up - I will beat all the elements :p

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
JP and Mandy ... what's that saying? "If you want something done ask a busy person." Mandy, I am on the XPT from Brisbane to Sydney to visit aged family. I try to do the trip about 3-4 weekly. Certainly interferes with gardening. If some critter attacks while I am away it can really take a hold. Powdery mildew on zucchinis etc and blight/critters on toms etc. JP, like you, I refuse to give up even when people say it's cheaper to buy from supermarkets ... it might even make me more determined. 😉

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Aha I hear you. Naughty critters love my crops too. The only comfort with all this rain (and potential flooding) is that at least the insect population is less active in my garden. We'll see when I arrive home in a couple days, I suppose.

And for sure, some things might be cheaper at supermarkets. But I don't get any satisfaction from eating those, whereas my mental health definitely seems improved when I eat my own produce. Needless to say, I kind of feel proud of myself when I'm able to "make" something with my own two hands.

Top Bottom