Weeping Willow needs some oomph

KunipshunFit

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My wifes favorite tree is a weeping willow. It reminds her of her late father. So last year for our anniversary I got her one and planted it dead center of the front yard in hopes for it to be a focal point.

Currently this is its status. So my question is... if I cut this thing back (in the dead of winter) to a single trunk and chop it off about 6 feet up, will it bush out from there and become more evenly weighted? Right now it can barely hold itself up.

Attachments

• 94432950_242146783814951_6573515225406898176_n.jpg
    94432950_242146783814951_6573515225406898176_n.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 315

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Willows should respond well to heavy pruning. But some don't like it and it can ruin the shape of the tree permanently.
It does look a bit spindly so perhaps it just needs a heap of fertilizer being in the lawn and all.

KunipshunFit

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Willows should respond well to heavy pruning. But some don't like it and it can ruin the shape of the tree permanently.
It does look a bit spindly so perhaps it just needs a heap of fertilizer being in the lawn and all.

Thanks, I think we are going to fertilize it, and this winter we are going to cut it back alot. Not sure what else to do unless we just get a different tree.

V8srfun

Premium Member
GOLD
I would hit it hard with some fertilizer and see what happens. Don’t be afraid to give the trunk some extra support I have seen where a young fruit tree takes off for the first strong season it will bear more than it can support. You either have to remove fruit or support the tree.

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Willows are amazing plants and will grow just by cutting a branch off and jamming it in the ground. They actually have their own growth hormone in them and you can even make hormone rooting solution from their leaves, but I digress.
I would suggest that you got this from a nursery and it had a poor life in a shade house or similar and was competing for light. How were the roots and in what size pot was it?
If worst comes to worst, you could cut the top off, then drive a hole in the ground with a crow bar and stick the top in there. Just keep it water and it will grow.
Good luck

Cheryl Smyth

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Weeping willow trees needs lots of water. Prune in winter and spring. Prune branches reaching ground to your desire length . I agree it needs stake for support. It looks healthy besides pruning and stake. I believe it will fill out.

Top Bottom