Vole Problems in my Birdies

Rio

Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Good morning to everyone, I'm new here. From Ontario Canada. I have started gardening in raised garden beds and own some Birdies from Epic Gardening, as well as similar models made here in Ontario. This is my second year in the beds and I have huge issues with what I assume are voles digging huge holes in my gardening beds, causing the soil to sink, exposing the roots of vegetables causing lots of issues. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with this?

Thank you.

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Might be a pain in the behind (digging the soil out), but a wire mesh under the beds?

eggcentric

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi, I'm in SE Ontario. Couple of questions: How big are the holes? Are you in a suburban or rural area? I would suggest setting some live traps if there is no danger of trapping birds in them. Another thing to try is to spray critter ridder all around the perimeter of your beds. The down-side of this is that you will have to re-apply after rain. Also, if you're okay with dispatching them, Peavey Mart sells a reasonably priced trap for moles and gophers that may work for you. If you have voles this trap may be too big, though. I heard some good reviews, and will be getting one myself, because I have squirrels eating holes in our house siding and am at my wit's end.

Attachments

• GopherMoleTrap.jpg
    GopherMoleTrap.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 30

DThille

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
The voles we have here in Manitoba are about the same size as a mouse. I suspect you may have something bigger. We have had squirrels in the wooden raised bed we got from Lee Valley Tools a number of years ago.

Good luck.

Top Bottom