Vegie Bake

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
With the birds feasting on my new found success in the vegie garden, there is a lot of damaged veg plus some other good veg that needs using.
Today's haul included a huge yellow zucchini, egg plant, tree lettuce, capsicums, paprika caps, green zebra tomatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, herbs, kale, onion & more I can't remember now.

So in the kitchen I decided to make a vegie bake. Here are the veg heaped on the bench. You can see on the righthand side the huge yellow zucchini that I sliced lengthwise to use as the divider between each layer.
vegie bake1.jpg yellow zuchinni.jpg

here is the pyrex dish with one layer done with added smoked paprika, chicken seasoning because it was going hard, garlic granules cos they were going hard too, salt & pepper. After I took this photo I grated a little cheese then piled another layer on.
vegie bake2.jpg

Here is the dish ready for foil & the oven at 150c for 1hr15min.
vegie bake3.jpg

Because I ran out of room & I wanted to add eggs at the end, here is a plate full waiting to go on once the veg have cooked down a bit.
vegie bake4.jpg

Now out of the oven having had eggs, tree lettuce & kale plus cheese with bread crumbs put over it & grilled another 10mins.
vegie bake5.jpg

Now time to eat! Additions on the plate are chick peas, olives & fresh tomato.
vegie bake6.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This big fellow--------> tree lettuce.jpg

It can be eaten raw or cooked. Grows to around 1.7-2.4m tall. Flowers profusely so you will never run out of seed. You can keep setting seed & eat it at about the 6leaf stage & keep the plant really small or just let it grow. Makes excellent stock & chook food, my horses love it. I only keep a few seeding heads each season & the rest go to the horses when the bushes are full sized.
I have spread the seed all over the horse paddocks as it is full of minerals & vitamins.
It could be used as temporary wind break but as it grows taller it tends to fall to the side but you could keep snapping the tops off to hold it at say 1m tall. Eventually the bottom leaves begin to die but if used as a wind break the soft plants may not need protection by that stage.
These plants are growing right against the wire netting of the chook pen & they just grab it through the wire.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Fantastic paddock to plate demonstration. Love your work, and thanks for presenting us with the steps.

Mudmaker

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
ClissAT your vegie bake looks wonderful, I am so envious. To be able to go out to the garden and pick a whole meal is my dream, as they say small steps lead to big things.

Top Bottom