Question Turmeric

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by Perry, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    My wife has a sore Knee. At times it keeps her awake at night. She does not like taking prescription drugs. A friend suggested that she takes Turmeric Tablets. I have read that if you add fresh Turmeric to your food you will have to eat allot to be equivalent to one tablet. I would appreciate some advice on Turmeric. Which tablets are good? What you should be aware off etc.
    Cheers Perry

2. DarrenP

DarrenP Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Perry,
    Like all non-pharmaceutical products, there are mixed reviews on turmeric. You can only try the tablets and see. I've never taken any, so can't help with brands. We put turmeric into a lot of our cooking, even a pinch in my breakfast smoothies.
    Has your wife tried fish oil or shark cartilage? I take fish oil every day to minimise aches and pains, mostly from repetitive work. I think it works. Shark cartilage is supposed to be good for joints.

3. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Darren,
    Thank you for your reply. My wife does take Fish Oil but never Shark Cartilage. Do you grow your Turmeric or purchase it as a powder?
    Cheers Perry

4. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We've always just bought the powder. As far as I know, it's more suited to growing in your type of climate. If you plan to get powder, it's much cheaper to buy a larger pack at an Indian or Middle Eastern supermarket, if you have one near you.

5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I wanted desperately for it to work for me but no joy there.
    I got heartily sick of the same taste day after day eating turmeric in almost everything.
    I made golden paste but after a week I couldn't face another glass of the stuff.
    To help quell the arthritic pain in my shoulders, I ended up using a topical application gel form of pharmaceutical pain relief.
    I would never consume shark cartilage products for ethical reasons.
    But many aren't actually true shark cartilage, rather prawn shells, etc.
    What Darren says re buying turmeric in bulk is very valid so long as you do consume it within a reasonable time frame. It does loose potency rather quickly.
    GYO turmeric seems easy enough but the drying & grinding process is tedious & an electric energy hog.

One thing I would offer is to think about your current diet. I find most tomatoes give me a form of gout which in me causes inflammation in all my joints. Because I already have quite bad arthritis, this extra burden of the red from the tomatoes, is too much & sets off some swelling & heaps of joint pain.
    Not all tomatoes do it, however. I discovered a strain of toms that didn't affect me so I saved seed & always grew those few unnamed varieties & didn't have any problems.
    Recently, having not had any tomatoes for many months due to the critters eating all I produced, I gave in & bought a truss of hydroponic toms grown in SA. Well.... the pain started within 2hrs & got worse over the next few days. Such a bad reaction.
    Some fruits such as stone & berry fruits or fruits with dark red or purple skins will do it. Processed tomato products like bbq or tomato sauce, the 'marinade' on prepacked chicken, snags or chops, tomato content in pies, tinned tomatoes all give me instant or almost instant gout.
    So check your diet & maybe eliminate some foods to see if that might also help reduce pain & discomfort in joints.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DarrenP

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Had a look at the vitamin section in Priceline the other day, while the wife was getting something. There are several brands of turmeric products, including one from Bioglan that had both turmeric and shark cartilage.

7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You should be able to grow it easily where you are Perry.

Grow it at home and you'll always have it fresh, which is the best way to consume it. Here's a video I made of a few ways to preserve turmeric - it's very easy.

• Like Like x 1