Question Tractor Slasher

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Perry, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Perry

Perry Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I have been looking at purchasing a Tractor with a Slasher. One Tractor is for sale not far from me but it does not have a slasher. The Tractor has a 25 hp motor. Please could somebody tell me what size Slasher this Tractor would work without any problems

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Depends more on what sort of terrain you are working over & what sort of trees, bush & grass you want to cut down.

A 25hp tractor should only work a 42inch or maximum 48inch (4ft deck) single blade slasher.

For example if you want to slash kikuyu that you might allow to grow a bit thick, your 25hpx48inch slasher will struggle to do the job. Or if you have a scrubby rough paddock, I would say 25hp might not be big enough.

Also is the tractor 2 or 4 wheel drive? 4wd will use more of the horse power to drive along, leaving less for the implements.

Just as an indicator to horse power, my John Deere ride-on mower is 18.5hp & runs a 42inch twin blade mid-deck. The same mower new now comes with a 22hp motor to do the same job. I cut my treed, rough, grassy & weedy horse paddocks with it but the mower does struggle at times.
    I am also looking to upgrade to a tractor but I will be looking in the 40ish hp range with shuffle shift because I need something that will run over dead branches, run an auger that will dig 40cm postholes & run a front end loader bucket. The slasher that will come with that set-up will only be 4ft wide.

3. Perry

Perry Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day ClissAT,
    Thank you for your reply. I have had one paddock slashed by a Commercial Contractor. He had a $150.000 machine. There was Rats Tail grass and small trees growing. He took it down to about 4" At one time I would mow the same paddock with my Greenfield Ride on but it took 4 days and I had to replace belts.
    I have a paddock that has regrowth with trees higher than your house. I have arranged for a Mulching Machine to come in and clean it up completely. I have been told that to keep it clean and tidy and to keep the regrowth under control I will need a bigger tractor. If I slash all the paddocks on a regular basis I will not have to worry about poisoning the trees that start to grow. All I need to do now is to find a Tractor with a Slasher that will be big enough and one I can afford.
    Thank you for your help & suggestions. I appreciate it.
    Cheers Perry