Tomato 'room'

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
To outwit these rotten king parrots I have created a bird meshed room on the sunny corner of my verandah.

I have 2 well grown tomatoes in extra large pots along with a few other vegie plant pots.

tomato room 3.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes Stevo, :ROFL:there are definitely 2 tomato plants in there, one a black cherry & the other my last seed of Giant Tree Tomato but its not doing that well. Anyway they are pretty big now & have first fruit just ready to colour which is when the parrots arrive with knife & fork under their wing & say thankyou very much!
There are also some pots & boxes of shallots gone wild, Italian parsley, capsicum which the parrots are also partial too & some mint pots.
Oh & a hanging basket of pink petunias. But certainly no weeds!:p

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I see the King Parrots as a trade off. I love these birds, seeing them is a small price to pay for a bit of my tomato stash. They never seem to eat too many!

Well you are very lucky!

Here, I have 12 large pigeon pea trees, bananas & tropical fruits, a whole vegie garden including many capsicum & cherry tomatoes & the rotten parrots clean up the lot every day! They leave nothing.

If I plant snow peas, ordinary peas, beans, pretty much anything that fruits above ground they will decimate it. They don't just take a bit, they take the lot, however big the lot is. There used to be just the 3 pair (originally bred & raised by the previous owners of this property) & between them they managed to raise 2 youngsters over a period of several years. But since I have been improving the vegie garden & orchard to actually get produce from it, they have bred to greater numbers. Last year & earlier this year, 1 pair raised 2 families based on my pigeon peas! In the end I got 1 handful of gandules only (the green peas before drying in the pod to turn into split peas). Every morning the ground was littered with broken green pods. None got to maturity. I grow cherry tomatoes for the parrots around my mango trees. They will even try the tiny green mangoes. I don't mind loosing some of those because the trees are now producing prolifically & I would have to strip the trees otherwise to leave some fruit to grow better. But along the way they mark a lot of other fruit which lets in fruit fly or other flies that destroy the fruit with maggots.
If I don't net the lychee tree they take all the fruit. None gets to even as big as half sized.

It's not like there is no other food for them. The garden is stuffed full of flowering natives & exotics providing food for the whole year.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Haha. Variety is the spice of life, even for birds it seems! It makes us have to work harder to keep our own produce protected from these ravenous animals.

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have had Roos move into the garden on occasions , and they don't mind the odd seedling either , to give them some protection I will sometimes use a chilli and garlic spray ! Not quite the taste they were expecting and usually the seedlings get through , cheers Ray

Top Bottom