Today in the country

DThille

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I just wanted to share a quick update from our acreage.

We've recently had significant rain (finally) which really greened things up. It didn't do anything to help the farmers who have begun harvest though...a bit of too little too late.

The sea buckthorn look nice from a distance, but the berries are overripe and starting to get that sense of fermentation...we could wind up with some silly birds this winter.

The sugar beets really liked the moisture and have made great strides recently. We have about 3 weeks to our average first frost date, so hopefully they have more time to develop. We had just broadcast seed in the spring for the experiment and weeds cropped up early. At any rate, based on the plant size, we may have some to experiment with for sugar / syrup.

It was a good year for crickets though...I was going to take a short video so I could share their song, but got interrupted.
20210829DSC_0054SeaBuckthornPicking.jpg

20210929DSC_0066MoreSeaBuckthornPicking.jpg

20210929DSC_0071Clover.jpg

20210929DSC_0058SugarBeets.jpg

20210929DSC_0059SugarBeet.jpg

20210929DSC_0075Crickets.jpg

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That looks amazing, I love seeing this! We only had one day-ish of rain in the past 6 weeks so everything is so dry out here, I am jealous of seeing the lush greens!
Please pet the dog for me :D

Top Bottom