Question Timber Raised Garden Bed

kippa128

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thinking about putting together some timber raised garden beds just wondering what should I used to seal it with.
Whether it be a stain or linseed oil or should I line the inside with a plastic ??

linen oil is a great and ecological way to protect wood but needs to be redone periodically. you could line the inside with plastic sheets (helps the wood last longer) but that would create more micro plastic and waste...

Last edited:
Page not found (shows a picture of a bbq sausage!!!)

Also wondering about a silicon bathroom sealant that can be painted on. The main thing to consider is leaching of toxins or plastics into your garden's soil.

linen oil is a great and ecological way to protect wood but needs to be redone periodically. you could line the inside with plastic sheets (helps the wood last longer) but that would create more micro plastic and waste...
Ypu don't think lining it with plastic would hold too much moisture and rot the timber quicker ??
Page not found (shows a picture of a bbq sausage!!!)

Also wondering about a silicon bathroom sealant that can be painted on. The main thing to consider is leaching of toxins or plastics into your garden's soil.
Like a membrane?

Just look up Sienna Micropro sleepers\Microshades
no sealants required or needed
mine have been inground for nearly 6yrs now, went from being raised vegie patches to currently housing ponds and exotic alocasias etc

Ypu don't think lining it with plastic would hold too much moisture and rot the timber quicker ??

Like a membrane?
I don't use them myself, but I know several that do use them. It's pretty tough stuff and not flimsy at all. The hard bumps/bubbles are meant to face towards the wood and shall create a small space of air ventilation between the wood and plastic.

I myself don't care about the wood rotting away over the course of the years. I'd rather have the wood rotting away and be replaced if needed, than bringing even more plastic into the circle. there is enough as it is 😅

Attachments

• Timber Raised Garden Bed
    th.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 59
I would love to do wood planters, however we have prairie gophers (prairie dogs) and I am afraid that they will get an easy foothold on the outside wood and just climb up into the bed. I have been thinking of doing 27 inch bed, or maybe 32. Do you think these little beasts will be a problem?

Thinking about putting together some timber raised garden beds just wondering what should I used to seal it with.
Whether it be a stain or linseed oil or should I line the inside with a plastic ??
Just finished mine
Arches etc... i just stuck them together and set them up! Love planting without bending! Im doing the whole yard with them....
No grass
No mow!

Attachments

20230402_193320.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 60
    20230402_193336.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 59
    20230401_144553.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 67