Thinking about getting ducks

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Flatland, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Hi new to this forum. I'm at Milang on 10 acres & we have a really big snail problem We have the small white snail that you see on fence posts. They are eating my newly planted fruit trees. I have tried putting grease around the trunks of the trees but that hasn't stopped the snails, so I am having to use snail bait which I would prefer not to do. So I am thinking about getting a pair of Indian Runner ducks. Does anyone know if they eat my type of snail. I am thinking of having a small portable house for them & letting them out during the day to eat the snails. Has anyone any helpful ideas? How far do ducks roam? I don't have the fruit trees fenced.

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I can't say for certain if ducks will eat that particular type of snail but what I can say is my pekin and Indian Runner cross ducks do eat snails and slugs.

I have seen our ducks searching for snails and eating them and it's obvious that where the poultry isn't the snails/slugs are!

We've recently returned from a holiday in Vietnam where we visited SaPa and hiked around the rice fields. Interestingly, they allow ducks to free range in the rice fields as a means of natural pest control.

You could always trial it with a couple of ducks and if you find it's not working out perhaps give them away or just eat them :)

3. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Being a vego soft heart any animal that comes to be never gets eaten which is why I have 16 year old sheep. Maybe I should find someone who has ducks & take them some of my snails & see what they think.

4. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Just been googling portable duck houses and had a thought. could I use a large dog kennel as home for 2 ducks? I saw one that was big enough for a great dane and had ventilation on 2 sides and the roof, that could be opened and closed. If I added a small run and a lock up door (foxes)

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes that'd probably work no problem as far as a shelter for ducks goes, but you'd have to train your ducks to return to the kennel at nightfall and that might be a challenge due to the size of entrance.

However, if you are planning to have a safe pen or enclosure for the ducks and then a kennel within that as their shelter then it would be easier.

6. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I was thinking of having the kennel with a small pen for when I am away or not going to be a home at night to put them away but days that I am home I would let the ducks free range. I'm thinking I might buy day old ducklings and raise them so that they will be used to me. I did this with chickens years ago. But I am not sure where to buy day old ducks. I will have to do some searching. I am sure I can find some or at least very young ducklings

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ducks are inherently flightly more so than chickens. You'd have to spend a fair amount of time to tame them I reckon :)

8. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    I had a wild duck once that I found as a real baby and raised. S/he was a lovely little creature that would cuddle up to me. I had forgotten about him.

9. Jillian

Jillian Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    We do very well getting the ducks to go back to there house.but they are skittish if there is something new in the way. I have trouble with a duck feeder.