The TPP...for those who weren't already aware..

Discussion in 'Exercise, Health, and Well-being' started by Director, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Director

Director Valued Member Premium Member

This piece of 'legislation' straight from the desk of Satan's personal solicitor (AFAICT :) ) is a complete abomination and will give global corporations the power to dictate a country's policies (do some googling). This garbage that they expect to force on EVERYONE is being done in secret with no public access to the full details. Even the abominable details we do know about were 'leaked' by some conscientious whistle-blower somewhere. So the current concern is about the impacts to health and medicine that will result if this thing gets signed (and given the quality of our 'government' it probably will). In effect, big pharma will get to make even MORE obscene profit and in return they 'promise' we might get a new pill that they will be able to charge extortion rates on for an extra 7 years than what they do currently. You know how breaking a leg can send you bankrupt in the U.S.? Well that's what they want globally. The TPP is about MUCH more than just big pharma however.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/tpp-...llow-for-pharmaceuticals-20150424-1msgds.html

So higher drug costs, more tax, big pharma dictating health policy (no vitamins or herbs allowed any more?) forced health insurance (at inflated prices?)

Why would any government sign this unless they were on the take or part of the bigger scam?

So if anyone has a facebook page and wanted to to start an AVAAZ or Change.org petition I'd sign it for sure.

(Then again, it might not work http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2189049/avaaz_tpp_petition_sabotaged.html )

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I don't know much about it except to say I do know about it and I'm inherently uncomfortable with any big corporation having the capacity to monopolise the market and influence policy in their favour.

I'm going to sound like a member of the Greens here (which I'm not) but why can't world health be seen more in a humanitarian way with governments committed to pool their money for the improved health of mankind? We all worry about global warming and are prepared to tax the hell out of everyone in the world to "save the planet" yet people are mortgaging their homes to pay for medication - it's all wrong and it depresses me...

Governments say the main role they have is to ensure their people are secure so what about health security? I understand it costs money to make drugs but it's made worse and far more expensive when corporations under financial pressure by markets are made to constantly beat last years profits as a benchmark of success. Success should be measured in lives saved and quality of life improved.

Do we even have a world health research group funded by 1st world governments to try and find cures for major illnesses? I hope so - and they should be competing against big phama to keep prices down and keep them on their toes. I don't know :dunno:

3. Director

Oh it's MUCH worse than that, they've been monopolising and dictating policy (albeit 'unofficially') for decades, you don't donate large sums to political parties if you don't expect a return on investment. No, the TPP will give corporations the power to actually take governments to an international court if they don't like some aspect of government policy or legislation? Don't like laws that keep CSG plants away from people's homes, well let's go to court! Philip Morris have been suing governments for years already over plain-packaging and packaging with nasty pictures. Imagine how bad it will get when there is a global framework to make it easy for ALL corporations to do it.

For lots of reasons. Firstly governments HAVE no money, they produce NOTHING (except misery and dissent) and only have what they are able to steal from the population. Not only do they have no money and no income, they are so far down the debt-hole (about 1 TRILLION dollars between the federal and state governments) that 'we' are never getting out of it this side of a sovereign default. Secondly, they don't CARE about your health and well-being, they see you simply as a cash-cow, as long as you can work and you behave and follow their rules then they couldn't care less. They have also been well and truly corporatised both literally and in practice, they do not see Australia as a society of people but as a business where all decisions are made based on the 'bottom line'. (As an aside I'm pretty sure the 'Australian Government' is an illegal entity brought into existence with the 'Australia act' back in 1986, without a referendum. It is not the 'Commonwealth of Australia' that was inaugurated at constitution...but that's another story. :))

Yes, and while 'more tax' and 'carbon trading derivatives' is their only answer then I refuse to buy into it for one second. Also if you do some googling on geoengineering I think you'll find the real cause of recent climate events.

Nope.

Pharmaceutical companies are ROLLING in profits. Here's last years figures, you'll notice that the profits are in the tens of billions of dollars. They have heaps of money for research if they wanted to, but they, like all powers in the world are only driven by greed and control.

http://www.pharmaceutical-technolog...est-pharmaceutical-companies-of-2014-4396561/

Also, aside from antibiotics I'm hard pressed to think of a pharmaceutical drug that has actually cured anything? (Ash correct me if I'm wrong) And by 'cure' I mean "Yes, the course of pills we gave you has fixed your health problem, you no longer need to take them." The best they seem to do is to hold symptoms at bay, and mostly with bad side-effects.

Yes we do, that's why cancer, heart disease, autism and obesity are all decreasing rapidly. /sarcasm.

The BEST hope we have at recovering/maintaining our own health is to stop eating fake foods and get back to eating real food and doing some exercise, in a balanced way. Stop relying on governments and 'experts' to give us our information and to start doing things we should be doing for ourselves.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Like I said/wrote the TPP etc isn't something I'm well educated in but your explanations do make a lot of sense.

I wonder how we can keep going on getting robbed by big business before it all collapses... I did think the GFC and the housing collapse in the USA was the beginning of ordinary taxpayers and the poor middle class caving into the cost of living but they've seemed to have recovered (perhaps they're just holding on).

I can't see the standard of living for the poor or middle class in Australia rising (not in my circles anyway) if anything I see a slow slide down in Australia. I'm not an advocate for more handouts for the less well off nor heavier taxes on the rich but I'm pretty sure large corporations are to blame for our living standards creeping backwards and there needs to be a way to stop normal living expenses from taking most of our pay packets.

We probably need to restrict corporate power rather than giving it more rights if 1% of the world's population owns 90% of the wealth there's just kings and peasants.

5. bearded1

bearded1 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"The love of money is the root of all evil"

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    We have to expect that governments will not be principled enough to withstand the pressures and financial kickbacks from big pharma companies, and thus not rely on them to make the best decisions for individual health of its citizens. They are a double edged sword, the pharmaceutical companies; on one hand they invest large amounts to R&D to create new and innovative ways to treat medical conditions, but they feed off the unwellness of people. So the only way to break this cycle is as Director puts it, stop eating junk and start getting active, growing your own food and eating it without the need to add copious amounts of chemicals to make it look like an apple-sized strawberry or a goose-sized chicken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    AMEN :)

8. Director

The fun doesn't stop!

https://www.corbettreport.com/obamas-fast-track-to-tyranny/