The Small Hive Project - build your beehive

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello,
I am a hobbyist beekeeper in France and designed a small horizontal hive for backyard beekeeping. Four prototypes will be populated in spring 2018 to test the hive. You may wish to participate in the project by building your own copy of hive and publish your beekeeping experience in a Hive Report. All necessary information is available on the project website (smallhiveproject.eu).

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
SmallHiveProject News:

(1) Hive construction video on: smallhiveproject.eu/?plans.html

(2) Tree mount construction video on: smallhiveproject.eu/?hivestand.html

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Very interesting concept of having a much smaller volume hive to help the bees help themselves.

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
HIVE REPORTS are online at smallhiveproject.eu/?forum/viewforum.php?f=16
Have a look to see bees in the hive.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Interesting project. I am an old traditional bee keeper and I have a couple of questions. Does not restricting the space increase the possibility of swarming? I now keep indigenous European blacks. These as you know have a smaller brood to the Italian that are more common in the UK. Does your design cater for different strains? Good luck with your project

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@ Wayland: "Does not restricting the space increase the possibility of swarming?" Response: Hopefully it will do.

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Call for participation in 2019!
Building your hive(s) right now - before the cold days - would be fine if you consider to join the project next spring. Maybe as a family project during automn holiday ? A weekend should be also enough time... Refer to the project website for all necessary information (videos, plans ...) Feel free to contact the publisher for any question or advice.
First results overview is online at smallhiveproject.eu/?results.html

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I would love to have a hive here but the seasons are so fickle the bees all but starve in the dry season.
Its just not fair on the bees to have a hive here when they will suffer so much in the dry season.
There are some wild tree hives which work for me in my garden.
But I have to let half the garden die in the dry season so there isn't much food for them then.

Top Bottom