The beginning of our journey

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Karen&Luke, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Karen&Luke

Karen&Luke Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hello,
    My name is Karen, and I'm just beginning my journey into self sufficiency. I've always loved gardening and watching plants grow. But we have always been renters so the farthest we got was putting in four raised beds at one of our last rentals. Then having to remove the soil and beds before we left lol.

It was great growing our own vegetables and working through the challenges of keeping it all going well.
    I also accumulated a LOT of potted plants. From fruit trees (orange, apple, lemon, pear & blueberries) to unnamed plants my nan gave me.

We are big fans of self sufficient me. And love watching Marks videos. They are very helpful and encouraging. I discovered them after our son was born a year ago and I couldn't get outside at much as before.

Until now, finally, we bought our first home. A beautiful old weatherboard with an already established (if somewhat overgrown and neglected) raised vegetable beds, chook house and greenhouse. We've made a start to bring it back to glory and cannot wait to start growing our own food again.
    The yard has some established fruit trees and raspberry canes already which is great for us and our one year old who just loves running around picking up all the plums.

These are the beds after pulling all the overgrown weeds. We need to top up the soil and make a few reinforcements then we can 'get to it ' lol. 20200126_135510.jpg 20200126_135514.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'Day Karen and welcome.

I started my journey old last year and have had a ball doing it. A few hiccups here and there but loving the produce I get from our own patch.

Looks like those beds have worked hard in prior years and hopefully with a little TLC and elbow grease you'll have them planted out and producing your own fruit and veg soon. Congrats on the home purchase too.

Best wishes and good luck.

Cheers

Greg W

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    So rustic and beautiful! Would look a treat full of veggies - get into it! :twothumbsup:

• Like Like x 1