Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Beef jerky or dried flavoured beef is one of the best preserved foods man ever made and it's pretty healthy too.

This video shows my latest beef jerky creation Thai style beef jerky cause I like it hot and spicy! :heat:

Last edited:

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent, looks like you spend some time making these videos. A mate had some beef jerky at the last Christmas camp, was pretty good. A dehydrator is something on my list of things to get, one day.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent, looks like you spend some time making these videos. A mate had some beef jerky at the last Christmas camp, was pretty good. A dehydrator is something on my list of things to get, one day.

I gotta have a dehydrator and making jerky or biltong are some of my favorite uses for it. I experimented with lots of different flavours for jerky over the years and this Thai twist really works well.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
yeah he had two different types, chilli and non chilli, everyone got in to the chilli ones. Does the dehydrator use much power? Does it has watts and amps written on it? (for my interest in low power usage applicances)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The back of the unit states 600 watts so I guess it would cost a few bucks to make a batch of jerky. But jerky is seriously expensive to buy the the shops so the DIY option is almost always cheaper. Plus, I know what's in my home made stuff :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
600 watts! oooo man I need to get some more panels and batteries :eek:

Well, I think that's what it said - I thought it was a little high too. :think: When I purchased mine (Excalibur Dehydrator) it was marked as only costing about 5-10 cents an hour to run - this unit is one of the top of the line American made dehydrators. I can't say I really see a big increase in meter running when it's going so perhaps it isn't that bad. I mean it's just a PC fan and small heater...?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
nah it's probably right, those little home fan heaters are 2000watts.

Right , ok...

I see this similar model to mine (but tons cheaper) has a 600 Watt power usage also eBay Sunfood 10 Tray Dehydrator guess power usage always is a factor especially if you intend to run it off your own solar power setup.

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Yes a dehydrator, on my list too.
The misses actually mentioned she wouldn't mind one of these too but i know who will be doing all the work! :wave:
And not too expensive looking at that ebay link. Hmmmm

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes a dehydrator, on my list too.
The misses actually mentioned she wouldn't mind one of these too but i know who will be doing all the work! :wave:
And not too expensive looking at that ebay link. Hmmmm

If you do end up getting one (whichever brand) it would be great if you could review it here (showcase) often wondered how my expensive Excalibur Dehydrator stacked up to these new cheap models. I'm not going to buy one just to compare...

I know the round stack ones aren't as good because you have to keep changing the trays around to evenly dry whereas the tray with rear fan is just hit go and walk away.

We use ours all the time - even to make dog biscuits. Sometimes I even dehydrate leftovers like roast chicken and vegetables then package them in glad bags as doggy snax - too easy.

victorjessie

Beef jerky or dried flavoured beef is one of the best preserved foods man ever made and it's pretty healthy too.

This video shows my latest beef jerky creation Thai style beef jerky cause I like it hot and spicy! :heat:

Can't keep it in the house. Took a couple London broils and sliced up for jerky. Marinated in my Thai Jerky recipe. Started with 6 pounds ended up with 2.5 pounds of finished product.
Can't keep it in the house. Took a couple London broils and sliced up for jerky. Marinated in my Thai Jerky recipe. Started with 6 pounds ended up with 2.5 pounds of finished product.

Here's the recipe for 1 pound I just multiplied by 6.

1 lb top round steak, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon dark or light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground white (or black) pepper

I added cure. Typically this wouldn't have cure and the meat would be dried in the sun.

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
built a solar dehydrator couple years ago the absober works good even when slightly overcast. has a small solar cell the drives a low speed stepper motor to turn it toward sun.i got my original idea of mother earth news . i still have a couple electric powered ones just incase but they get expensive to run. thinking oh making a new style this summer.
started out as the one in article here. i made it smaller added it on a turn table with a couple photo electric eyes so it will turn to follow the sun during day. i may mess around with a heat collector that can move on an angle up and down the get the optimum suns heat. i have done fruits vegetables and herbs going to make some jerkas a test and set the outlet so it closes automatic when heat drops below 105 F

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/solar-food-dehydrator-plans-zm0z14jjzmar/?newsletter=1

82ce88a44b1769a2c50f9877d4fac65d.png

Last edited:

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic

Here's the recipe for 1 pound I just multiplied by 6.

1 lb top round steak, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon dark or light soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground white (or black) pepper

I added cure. Typically this wouldn't have cure and the meat would be dried in the sun.
what did you use for cure pink salt ?
here are a couple i dug out of my files

VENISON JERKY (TEST RECIPE LAST FALL)
1 lb venison
1/8 c soy sauce *
1/8 cup wocestershire sauce *
1/8 terriaki glaze sauce
1 tbl salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp charcol it powder **
1/3 cup brown sugar

* more or less depending on dryness of meat
** omit if using smoker

BASIC TERIYAKI JERKY
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 cup water
1 cup burgundy or red wine
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 shot whiskey
7 lb. steak or roast sliced 1/4 thick / fat trimmed off

I put in zip lock bags 24 to 48 hrs to marinate in fridge, both were smoked with three pans hickory chips 4 hours at 125 F then increased to 165-170 F an to hit target temp of meat of 165 and continued to dryness i wanted

Top Bottom