Thai Basil Problem

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Tim-Tropics, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Tim-Tropics

Tim-Tropics New Member

Climate:
    Tropical
    Over just two days, this happened to my Thai Basil plants. It has been raining a little more (living in the tropics, intermonsoon period now) recently so wondering if this could be mildew? Seems to affect almost the entire plant though. Was also suspecting broadmites but leaves don't look like the typical broadmite attack, and nothing obvious under a microscope. Plants were growing very well before this.

thai-basil-attacked.jpg

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Without being able to see a very closeup view, I think it might be Red Spider Mites.
    Any insect type spray or drench will get rid of them as long as you get the underneath of every leaf.
    If the infestation gets really bad and they begin breeding, you'll see a very fine web develop.
    If you rub the leaf between your fingers, it will feel like fine dust or grit and will come off on your fingers like fine rust.
    If you don't want to spray, prune all leaf and green branches off the bush, gather into a back rubbish bag, solarize for a day or so then dispose in the rubbish bin. Then either leave your gloves out in the sun to bake on a hot surface or soak in strong detergent mix for 24 hrs to kill the RSM on them. Also wipe your pruners very well with metholated spirits or similar before using them for any other work.
    The basil will grow back. I prune mine right down to a few main woody branches every year.

3. Tim-Tropics

Tim-Tropics New Member

Climate:
    Tropical
    Thank you so much for your reply! :) :) Here's a close up view. The markings on the ruler are 1mm.

Luckily no fine webs developing yet. Will try spraying some neem oil and give it a good prune.

25x.jpg

• Like Like x 1