Tepache

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi,
I just thought I'd post to see who has made tepache before?
I made one up on Saturday and I'm probably going to pop it in the fridge today. I went by a recipe, I halved it but I forgot to halve the sugar so... I dunno how it will actually turn out. Does anyone have any idea if the little bacteria in it will do their job properly if I've put too much sugar in? It tastes nice, a bit on the sweet side lol but I've never tasted it before. I would assume it is supposed to taste a bit like a pineapple kombucha? Anyway, here's a pic of when I first made it. It has: 1.5 L water, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 cloves, skin of about 1/2 to 2/3 pineapple.

247068457_10222885170972718_3160943179343496600_n.jpg

HelenCate

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I made mine with the cubed fruit and Rapadura, as I couldn't source an organic one to use the skin. Not sure that skin versus fruit chunks would be a fair flavour comparison. I quite liked it. I wouldn't compare it to kombucha, it's a really unique flavour.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've put it in the fridge now... It tastes a bit like pineapple cordial with a bit of fizz, probably sweeter than normal because of the extra sugar I suppose lol. I probably could have let it sit for a bit longer but it was starting to slow down with the bubbles and I was freaking out a little because the website I got the recipe from said if you let it sit too long it will turn into pineapple vinegar.
It is a very tasty drink though and I'm looking forward to drinking it cold as the glass I had I couldn't wait and had it straight off the bench lol
@HelenCate I just got our pineapple from the local markets, they have a great fruit and veg stall there. Not sure if it was organic but they source local so I'm happy enough with that :heart:

Also, I've head that you can make it with mango and other fruit too so I'll be trying that out when I finish this one ;)

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've never heard of tepache before. Is it something kinda like pickled pineapple?
It is a fermented drink, I am assuming a bit like a kombucha but without having to have a scooby and without the long process... those processes are much too drawn out for me lol I'm a simple girl.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It is a fermented drink, I am assuming a bit like a kombucha but without having to have a scooby and without the long process... those processes are much too drawn out for me lol I'm a simple girl.
I can understand that! Simple can be good.

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This process is eerily similar to making Korean fermented plant juice for fertiliser and vinegar purposes.

By the way, "leave it too long" means 3-6 months, by which time you most certainly will have pineapple vinegar :). That concoction is home to multiple types of probiotic bacterium and yeasts - one of them converts the sugar to alcohol (aka mead), and another one converts the alcohol into acid (aka vinegar) in precisely that order.

DragonLady

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This process is eerily similar to making Korean fermented plant juice for fertiliser and vinegar purposes.

By the way, "leave it too long" means 3-6 months, by which time you most certainly will have pineapple vinegar :). That concoction is home to multiple types of probiotic bacterium and yeasts - one of them converts the sugar to alcohol (aka mead), and another one converts the alcohol into acid (aka vinegar) in precisely that order.
oww so pineapple mead! Yummy! lol I'll have to leave it longer next time hahaha! It is supposed to be a family drink so probably shouldn't.

Jason890

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I seen olive tepache at coles today I thought it was more of a spread on thing
Only reason it rung a bell is because I seen the video of marks olive harvest where he made it
I peruse the isles looking at what you can pickle and ferment to get ideas of what I can do to some of the veges I am growing
Just done a few jars of cucumbers

Top Bottom